ANN Installer Release 5
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 14:15:53 -0500
Release 5 of the McMillan Installer is here:
Release 5 is a rewrite of the analysis and building code from earlier releasess. The result is much smaller, faster and more capable.
Major changes include:
- Instead of using an ini-file configuration (with a host of
confusing options), Release 5 uses Python syntax specification
- An extensible hooks mechanism for modules / packages that
use import hacks.
- Ability to run on non-ELF platforms (should run on most Unix
systems, although I have not been able to test much of this).
- Linux users get full binary dependency analysis (so you can
include a private installation of TCL/TK or wxWindows, for
- Windows users can now create "frozen" in-process COM servers.
- Refactored C code (many thanks to Alan Green) so embedders
can make use of Installer's capabilities.
There is also an Installer mailling list. Subscribe at:
Supported systems include:
- Unix (alpha quality)
Supported Python versions:
- Python 1.5 to 2.1 (2.2b2 appears to work too).
What is it:
The Installer package is any easy way to deploy Python apps
to systems without Python installed (or with incompatible Pythons
<P><A HREF="http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/install5_ann.html">Installer Release 5</A>Easy Python app deployment. (27-Nov-2001).