Announcing the latest version of HappyDoc, a Python documentation extraction tool.
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 19:14:47 GMT
Announcing the latest version of HappyDoc, a Python documentation
HappyDoc is a tool for extracting documentation from Python source
code. It differs from other such applications by the fact that it
uses the parse tree for a module to derive the information used in
its output, rather that importing the module directly. This allows
the user to generate documentation for modules which need special
context to be imported.
More details are available on the HappyDoc home page at
Version 1.6 --
- **New Features**
- Implemented a variety of modifications to support Python 2.0
- Implemented plugin system for docstring converters to allow
module authors to write documentation using different markup
styles. External files are recognized by their extension.
The global default setting for docstrings can be passed on
the command line, or a file-specific setting can be embedded
in the input file (see below).
- Updated the default markup syntax to StructuredTextNG,
replacing the original StructuredText. Most users will not
notice any difference, but backwards compatibility is
maintained with a ClassicStructuredText plugin.
- **Many contributed patches**
- Patch to allow better support for Python 2.x 'import'
statement syntax changes.
- Patch to allow the base URL for documentation of Python
standard libraries to be passed as a command line argument
- Patch to eliminate invalid links to private classes which
are not described.
- Patch to elminate "decoration" lines in comment
- Added output formatter and docset for creating UML diagrams in
- **Several resolved bugs**
- Files with DOS line endings are handled properly.
- Removed uses of the deprecated 'regex' module by the
- Less than and greater than symbols in preformatted (example)
sections of text are now rendered correctly.
- **Other Changes**
- Cosmetic changes to the way unit tests are run.
- Fixed a problem with identifying "system modules" under
versions of Python other than 1.5.
- Sort the table of contents by the module name, not the file
Download the latest version of HappyDoc from the home page on