MacPython 2.2b1 released
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 15:14:39 +0100
MacPython 2.2b1 has been released. This is a beta distribution which
will undoubtedly still contain bugs. Installers in various forms can
be downloaded via http://www.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython.html .
Python is a high-level programming language that is suitable for
simple scripting tasks as well as writing large
applications. MacPython offers a lot of Mac-specific extensions,
including access to all major MacOS Toolbox modules (QuickDraw,
QuickTime, AppleScript and many more), an Integrated Development
Environment (in Python!), frameworks for windowing applications,
unix-compatible cgi-scripting, image-manipulation libraries, numerical
libraries, tk-based machine independent windowing and lots more. It
also uniquely among Pythons allows you to create fully selfcontained
(and, hence, distributable) applications without needing a C compiler
What's new in MacPython 2.2?
- Types and classes are unified, so you can subclass builtin types.
- Iterators and generators allow objects to be "looped over" and
- Accept both unix- and mac-style newlines
- Automatic garbage collection
- Better Carbon support and better integration with OS X
command line Python
Known problems with 2.2b1:
- Does not work on Mac OS X multiprocessor machines.
- BuildApplication fails for programs using packages.
Jack Jansen | ++++ stop the execution of Mumia Abu-Jamal ++++
Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
www.cwi.nl/~jack | ++++ see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/ ++++