ANN: Leo 3.10 outlining editor

Edward K. Ream edream@tds.net
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 14:03:41 GMT

leo.py 3.10 is now available at:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/
leo.py requires Python 2.1 or above and tcl/tk 8.3 or above.

3.10 corrects bugs, improves Leo's documentation and adds many new features:

The highlights of 3.10:
-----------------------
- Rewrote the Scripting Chapter in Leo's Users Guide.
- Improved the Customization Chapter of the Users Guide.
- Adds several customizations contributed by Leo's users.
  Among these: @read-only nodes. Reading empty .leo files.
  Redirecting stderr and stdout to Leo's log pane.
- New Mark Clones and Go To Next Clone commands.
- New Export Headlines command.
- Control-dragging a node now clones it.
- New "Node Only checkbox in the Find/Change panel.
- @root-code trees start in code mode by default.
  This allows @root trees to work like @file trees.
- @root-doc  trees start in doc  mode by default.
- Converted leoConfig.py to use @root-code
- New at_root_bodies_start_in_doc_mode option in leoConfig.py.
  Specifies whether @root trees work like @root-code or @root-doc.
- New synonyms: @file-asis = @silentfile
  @file-nosent = @nosentinelsfile ; @file-noref = @rawfile.
- Leo now supports navigation of menus using underlined menus.
- Added an easy way to replace any Leo method by a function.
  The code in customizeLeo.py can now override part of Leo's code!
- Added routines to redirect stderr and stdout to Leo's log pane.
  These routines can be called from customizeLeo.py.
- Added "event1" and "event2" hooks for customized event handling.
- Improved Leo's window icon, and improved how that icon is loaded.
- The usual assortment of bug fixes and minor improvements.
  Actually, this release fixes more than the usual number of bugs.

Quote of the month
------------------
I must say I am very impressed. I have been absolutely seduced by Leo over
the
past few days. I tell you, I can not put it down. I feel like a kid with a
shiny new bike...I'm already bursting with new ways I'd like to use the tool
in
the future -- Lyn Adams Headley

What is Leo?
------------
- A programmer's editor, an outlining editor and a flexible browser.
- A literate programming tool, compatible with noweb and CWEB.
- A data organizer and project manager. Leo provides multiple views
  of projects within a single outline.
- Fully scriptable using Python. Leo saves its files in XML format.
- Portable. leo.py is 100% pure Python.
- Open Software, distributed under the Python License.

Links:
------
Leo:      http://personalpages.tds.net/~edream/front.html
Home:     http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/