ANN: Pure Python strptime()

Brett C. drifty@bigfoot.com
3 Jun 2002 14:56:06 -0700

Out of frustration of not always having strptime() available and not
liking something in the standard library saying something is only
available on "Most modern Unix systems" when it does not have to be
this way, I wrote strptime() in pure Python (requires Python 2.2 or
higher; if there is enough demand I could back-port to older versions
since most of the 2.2 capabilities used were for convenience of
performance issues).

The module can be found at the Python Cookbook at
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/56036 .

I wrote strptime() before (over a year ago), but I got around to
rewriting it finally and I removed any dependence on the programmer
knowing any locale-specific info ahead of time.  Now you do not need
to enter any locale-specific information; you can use the function
just like the version that is in the time module.  There is some extra
functionality, though, so look at the recipe to see what extras are
available (performance and locale abilities mainly).

-Brett C.