PEP Parade

Tim Peters tim@zope.com
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 01:04:44 -0500

Quoting Guido's new "Parade of the PEPs" essay at

    http://www.python.org/doc/essays/pepparade.html

"""
To start off Developer's Day at the Python10 conference I gave a keynote
ending in what I dubbed "the parade of the PEPs". It was a brief overview of
all open PEPs, where I gave my highly personal and subjective opinion for
each PEP.  Later, I realized that this might have been of interest to other
developers.  I didn't take notes at the conference, so below is a different
set of comments that I created from scratch during a single two-hour sitting
on March 7, 2002.
"""

Since Guido's "highly personal and subjective opinions" are nevertheless
destined to circumscribe every waking moment of your Python life, everyone
interested in Python development should give it a good read.

It's also linked to from the PEP Index page at SourceForge:

    http://python.sf.net/peps/

Note that Guido wants to keep 2.3 free of new core language features.  You
can deduce that from reading the essay, or-- like me --you can just believe
it because it's true <wink>.  There's a huge backlog of good ideas for
improving the internals and libraries, and I wouldn't be surprised to see
the focus remain there for 2.4 too.