ANNOUNCE: tarfile module release 0.4
Wed, 1 May 2002 16:38:53 +0200
I'd like to announce a new release of the tarfile module for Python.
This is the first release that leaves the experimental state. Since my
first announcement which was the 0.2.5, there have been lots of major=20
and minor changes and bugfixes.
Please check out the URL below for details.
tarfile module is a pure python module for read and write access to tar
format archive files, including gzip compressed archives.
- comprehensive class interface
- full support for GNU extensions LONGNAME and LONGLINK
- read support for GNU extension SPARSE files
- additional (but limited) zipfile compatible class interface
- possibility to use file-objects for addition and extraction
- html documentation and unittest suite included
There is not much left to include except for addition and extraction of=20
character and block devices, which is not yet possible due to the lack=20
of a os.mknod() function in python.
Feedback is highly appreciated.
Thank you very much for your attention.