ANN: Leo 3.9 outlining editor

Edward K. Ream edream@tds.net
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 15:46:02 GMT

leo.py 3.9 is now available at:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/
leo.py requires Python 2.1 or above and tcl/tk 8.3 or above.

This is one of the most interesting versions of Leo ever released:

The highlights of 3.9:
----------------------
* Major performance improvements:
  - Incremental syntax coloring speeds response when typing.
  - Incremental undo drastically reduces memory used.

* Major improvements in customizing Leo:
  - Leo looks in the file customizeLeo.py for user-specific customizations.
  - Leo calls "hook routines" in customizeLeo.py for all commands and
events.
    These hook routines can modify or replace any command or event.
  - New convenience routines simplify creating and modifying menus.
  - Easy translation of menus to other languages using customizeLeo.py.

* Better integration with other tools:
  - The Open With command allows you to communicate back and forth with
other editors.
  - The Go To Line Number command converts lines numbers in derived files
    to locations in the outline.
  - Double-clicking the icon of a @url node launches any url in your web
browser.
  - The Execute Script command executes Python code in any body pane.
    This is much more convenient than opening Leo's Idle window.
  - Much better support for cweb. At last, Leo has a power user of cweb.
    By default, @space, @* and @** sections are colored as latex text.
    Leo properly generates @q..@> sentinels.
  - @nosentinelfile is like @file except Leo writes no sentinel lines.

* Other improvements:
  - Optional Emacs-style auto-indent.
  - Reformat Paragraph command.
  - Leo will optionally create nonexistent directories specified in
    @file, @root or @path, including all nonexistent parent directories.
  - Leo will place its own icon in Leo windows provided that you have
    installed Fredrik Lundh's PIL and tkIcon packages.
  - The usual assortment of bug fixes.

Quote of the month:
-------------------
"When first I opened Leo, it was out of curiosity. But having used it...
I'LL NEVER GO BACK. THEY'LL HAVE TO PRY LEO OUT OF MY COLD, DEAD FINGERS!
Seriously,it should be renamed 'Crack Cocaine' because it's that addictive.
I'm ready to start a 12-Step group." -- Travers A. Hough

What is Leo?
------------
 - A programmer's editor, an outlining editor and a flexible browser.
 - A literate programming tool, compatible with noweb and CWEB.
 - A data organizer and project manager. Leo provides multiple views
   of projects within a single outline.
 - Fully scriptable using Python. Leo saves its files in XML format.
 - Portable. leo.py is 100% pure Python.
 - Open Software, distributed under the Python License.

Links:
------
Leo:      http://personalpages.tds.net/~edream/front.html
Home:     http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/