SPE 0.15: new Python IDE with optional Blender integration.

SM stani_@hotmail.com
12 Aug 2003 06:35:16 -0700

SPE (Stani's Python Editor) is a Python IDE with optional Blender integration.
(c)2003 http://www.stani.be

spe 0.15 is now available at:
http://projects.blender.org/projects/spe/

This version of Spe contains important changes since 0.14,
especially support for Blender2.28 and an improved blenpy.

Links:
------
Screenshot Spe:
http://stani.host.sk/python/spe.png
(Refresh your browser if the screenshot doesn't load.)

Screenshots blenpy:
http://stani.host.sk/python/blenpy.html

Forum for help and discussion:
http://projects.blender.org/forum/?group_id=30

Blender (3d):
http://www.blender.org

*

What's new?:
------------
New features:
 Blender browser updated for Blender2.28
 - Armature
 - Curve
 - Effect
 - IpoCurve
 - Metaball
 Help windows improved with logo and html window.

Bugfixes:
 - blenpy has undergone numerous fixes and should run fine

Requirements:
 - full python2.2
 - wxpython 2.4.1.2.u (updated!)
 - optional Blender2.28 (updated!)

Known issues:
 - Exploring Texts in Blender browser crashes due to internal Blender error.

*

Features:
---------
Sidebar per file
   *class/method browser (jump to source)
   *automatic todo list, highlighting the most important ones (jump to source)
   *automatic alphabetic index of classes and methods (jump to source)
   *notes

Tools:
   *interactive shell
   *locals browser (left click to open, right click to run)
   *seperate session recording
   *quick access to python files in folder and its subfolders (click to open)
   *unlimited recent file list (left click to open, right click to run)
   *automatic todo list of all open files, highlighting the most important ones
      (jump to source)
   *automatic alphabetic index of all open files (jump to source)

Python related:
    *sytax-checking
    *syntax-coloring
    *auto-indentation
    *auto-completion
    *calltips

Drag & Drop: drop any amount of files or folders...
   *on main frame to open them
   *on shell to run them
   *on recent files to add them
   *on browser to add folders

General
   *context help defined everywhere
   *add your own menus and toolbar buttons
   *exit & remember:all open files will next time automatically be loaded
      (handy for Blender sessions)
   *wxPython gui, so should be cross-platform (Windows,Linux,Mac)
   *scripts can be executed in different ways:run,run verbose & import
   *after error jump to line in source code
   *remember toggle:remembers open files between sessions.

Blender related:
    *redraw the Blender screen on idle (no blackout)
    *Blender object tree browser (cameras,objects,lamps,...)
    *add your favorite scripts to the menu
    *100% Blender compatible:can run within Blender, so all these features are
       available within Blender

*

Contribute:
-----------
Beta-testers wanted:
Spe is still under development.    If Spe runs without any problems, I'm
also interested to get a notice. I developped spe under windows xp and
have no access to Linux, Mac, FreeBsd or any other platform.  So any help
for these platforms is highly appreciated.

Join the forum:
If you use Spe and find a bug or problem, please post a message on the
appropiate forum on http://projects.blender.org/forum/?group_id=30 describing
the platform, the problems that occur and possible solutions if you know.

If you would like to contribute to spe in any way, send me an email with your
skills (programming,graphics,icons,3d,html,...) and I'm sure you can help me out.