Mon, 13 Jan 2003 10:08:51 +0100
We're pleased to announce the release of CherryPy-0.8.
This release adds a brand new HTTP server that supports SSL, XML-RPC,
threading, forking and process pool.
The documentation has also been improved: the tutorial now has a section
about deploying a CherryPy server for production and several HowTos have
CherryPy is a Python-based tool for developing dynamic websites. It
uses many powerful concepts together, which makes it unique in its
approach to website development.
CherryPy sits between an application server and a compiler. You write
source files, compile them with CherryPy and CherryPy generates an
executable containing everything to run the website (including an HTTP
It is released under the GPL license.
CherryPy has been used in production for more than a year and it has proven
fast and robust.
Key properties/features of CherryPy are:
- Based exclusively on Python (runs everywhere Python runs)
- Delivers fast, robust, and scalable websites
- Developers can use OOP as well as AOP (Aspect Oriented Programming)
concepts to develop web sites
- True separation of content and presentation
- Simple but powerful templating language
- "HTML editor safe" templating language (templates can go back and forth
between designers and developers)
- Powerful standard libraries to make your life easy
Other properties/features are:
- Can be linked to many databases (Oracle, Sybase, MySql, PostgreSql,
- Can run behind another webserver (Apache, ...)
- Easy clustering and load-balancing set up for high-traffic websites
- Built-in caching capability
- SSL support (based on PyOpenSSL)
- XML/XSL support (based on 4Suite)
- Built-in XML-RPC support