ANN: Leo 4.0 beta 3 outlining editor

Edward K. Ream edreamleo@charter.net
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 07:19:37 -0500

Leo 4.0 beta 3 is now available at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/

This is the third public release of Leo 4.0. There are no known serious bugs
in
this version of Leo. This will likely be the last beta release before 4.0
final.

N.B. 4.0 introduces new file formats.  Please make full backups of important
files.

Highlights of 4.0 beta 3
------------------------
- Fixed problems with setting Leo's window icons.
- Plugins may now save their own information in <v> and <t> elements in .leo
files.
- The usual assortment of bug fixes and minor improvements.

Quote of the month
------------------
I've written documentation in WordPerfert, Ventura, Word, PageMaker, and
FrameMaker and even though they create wonderfully looking and useful
documents, they've never been able to do what I've been looking for. HTML,
compiled help files, and later PDF came closer, but still not there. I think
I've found it in Leo, a way to make a "living" document. A document built
out
of discrete parts that can be re-organized on the fly to meet the needs of a
varying audience...Being a convert for less than a day I've still got a lot
learn, but just the possibility of keeping system maintenance scripts in the
IT
manual is mind boggling.  -- David Nichols

Highlights of 4.0 beta 2
------------------------
* Fixed several bugs:
  - Fixed problems with reading and writing 4.0 derived files.
  - Fixed several Unicode-related bugs.
  - Fixed a crasher in the Go To Line Number command.
  - Fixed a problem with Importing Python files.
* Important improvements:
  - Added allow_clone_drags setting that allows Leo to be used with Aqua.
  - When running Python 2.3 Leo can now create window icons without
third-party packages.
- The usual minor improvements and bug fixes.

Highlights of 4.0 beta 1
------------------------
* Improved and simplified format of derived files.
  - Eliminated child indices, extraneous blank lines and @body sentinels.
  - Eliminated @node sentinels that indicate outline structure.
  - New @nl and @nonl sentinels indicate where newlines are and aren't.
  - These changes largely eliminate unwanted cvs conflicts.
* Greatly improved error handling.
  - Reading derived files _never_ alters outline structure or links.
  - Read errors leave the outline completely unchanged.
  - Broken clone links are gone forever.
  - As a result, using 4.0 is much safer than all previous versions.
* Full compatibility will previous versions of Leo.
  - Leo reads all derived files properly, regardless of version.
  - Leo writes new-format derived files by default, and this default may be
changed.
* New commands:
  - Write 3.x Derived File and Write 4.x Derived File commands.
  - Import Derived File command.
  - Clear Recent Files command.
* Several new plugins.

What is Leo?
------------
- A programmer's editor, an outlining editor and a flexible browser.
- A literate programming tool, compatible with noweb and CWEB.
- A data organizer and project manager. Leo provides multiple views
   of projects within a single outline.
- Fully scriptable using Python. Leo saves its files in XML format.
- Portable. leo.py is 100% pure Python.
- Open Software, distributed under the Python License.

Leo requires Python 2.1 or above and tcl/tk 8.3 or above.
Leo works on Linux, Windows and MacOs X.

Links:
------
Leo:      http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/front.html
Home:     http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/