ANN: Leo 4.1 rc4: An outlining editor

Edward K. Ream edreamleo@charter.net
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 19:27:40 -0600

Leo 4.1 release candidate 4 is now available at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/

This release fixes numerous bugs reported since 4.1 rc3 and makes
several other improvements, including several nifty new plugins.

The highlights version 4.1:
---------------------------
- Leo runs in batch mode when invoked with --script aScriptFile.py
- Leo supports Unicode characters (e.g. Chinese) in path and file names.
- @directives and section references are now valid when executing scripts.
- @ignored and orphan nodes now valid in @file-nosent trees.
- Script-based find/change commands.
- Check Outline command.
- Hoist & DeHoist commands.
- A new gui-agnostic architecture: useful for batch mode and unit tests.
- Several new configuration settings.
- Many new unit tests.
- A host of bug fixes.

Quotes of the month
-------------------

I'm a newbie to Leo(a couple of weeks) and I feel addicted to
programming again...in fact it has resurrected a dead project of mine :)
The outline has proven most liberating in terms of testing ideas out.
Thanks a lot! -- anon

"Wow, wow, and wow. I just started using Leo about a month ago..Now I
finally understand how to use clones and I realized that this is
exactly how I want to organize my information.  Multiple views on my
data, fully interlinkable just like my thoughts...Thanks for a great
tool! -- anon

"I *LIKE* it; I was amazed at how [different the Leo] experience was
compared to flat-filing. It was almost Forth-like in the way that it
was possible to work top-down or bottom-up at will (I believe this is
the key to its strength, btw)." --Tarvin Rhodes

What is Leo?
------------
- A programmer's editor, an outlining editor and a flexible browser.
- A literate programming tool, compatible with noweb and CWEB.
- A data organizer and project manager. Leo provides multiple views
   of projects within a single outline.
- Fully scriptable using Python. Leo saves its files in XML format.
- Portable. leo.py is 100% pure Python.
- Open Software, distributed under the Python License.

Leo requires Python 2.1 or above and tcl/tk 8.3 or above.
Leo works on Linux, Windows and MacOs X.

Links:
------
Leo:      http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/front.html
Home:     http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/