ANN: TLS Lite 0.2.0

Trevor Perrin trevp@trevp.net
20 Feb 2004 05:38:22 -0800

I'm pleased to announce TLS Lite v0.2.0.

TLS Lite is a pure-python, public domain SSL/TLS library.  It supports
encrypted and authenticated socket communications using the TLS
protocol (RFC 2246, aka SSL v3.1).  TLS Lite has minimal support for
X.509 certificates, but focuses on up-and-coming authentication
methods like SRP [1], shared-keys [2], and cryptoIDs [3].

These methods are easier to use than the X.509 certificates normally
used with TLS.  They're also barely out of the oven - the first two
are Internet-Drafts, and the last is something I made up.  It's fun
stuff to mess with, but keep in mind that the drafts may change, and
the code's alpha quality..

Other highlights:
 - SSL v3 and TLS v1 support
 - Pure python
   - with AES, throughput ~25 KB/sec, on a P4 1.7 Ghz
   - with RC4, throughput ~250 KB/sec
 - Can use cryptlib [4] or OpenSSL/M2crypto [5] for faster ciphers &
math:
   - throughput ~6 MB/sec
 - Integrates with httplib and SocketServer framework

Home Page and Download
http://trevp.net/tlslite

Sourceforge (not much there, working on it..)