ANN: Leo 4.1 final

Edward K. Ream edreamleo@charter.net
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:26:29 -0600

Leo 4.1 final is now available at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/

Leo 4.1 final is the culmination of four months of work. No
significant bugs have been reported since 4.1 rc4. Several people have
contributed nifty plugins recently. See leoPlugins.leo for full
details.

The highlights version 4.1:
---------------------------
- Leo runs in batch mode when invoked with --script aScriptFile.py
- Leo supports Unicode characters (e.g. Chinese) in path and file names.
- @directives and section references are now valid when executing scripts.
- @ignored and orphan nodes now valid in @file-nosent trees.
- Script-based find/change commands.
- Check Outline command.
- Hoist & DeHoist commands.
- A new gui-agnostic architecture: useful for batch mode and unit tests.
- Several new configuration settings.
- Many new unit tests.
- A host of bug fixes.

Quotes of the month
-------------------

"I'm a newbie to Leo(a couple of weeks) and I feel addicted to
programming again...in fact it has resurrected a dead project of mine :)
The outline has proven most liberating in terms of testing ideas out.
Thanks a lot!" -- anon

"Wow, wow, and wow. I just started using Leo about a month ago..Now I
finally understand how to use clones and I realized that this is
exactly how I want to organize my information.  Multiple views on my
data, fully interlinkable just like my thoughts...Thanks for a great
tool! -- anon

"I *LIKE* it; I was amazed at how [different the Leo] experience was
compared to flat-filing. It was almost Forth-like in the way that it
was possible to work top-down or bottom-up at will (I believe this is
the key to its strength, btw)." --Tarvin Rhodes

What is Leo?
------------
- A programmer's editor, an outlining editor and a flexible browser.
- A literate programming tool, compatible with noweb and CWEB.
- A data organizer and project manager. Leo provides multiple views
   of projects within a single outline.
- Fully scriptable using Python. Leo saves its files in XML format.
- Portable. leo.py is 100% pure Python.
- Open Software, distributed under the Python License.

Leo requires Python 2.1 or above and tcl/tk 8.3 or above.
Leo works on Linux, Windows and MacOs X.

Links:
------
Leo:      http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/front.html
Home:     http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/