ANN: F2PY - Fortran to Python Interface Generator
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:02:08 +0200 (EET)
F2PY - Fortran to Python Interface Generator
I am pleased to announce the seventh public release of F2PY, version
2.39.235_1642. The purpose of the F2PY project is to provide the
connection between Python and Fortran programming languages.
For more information, see
Since the last public release, that was more than two years ago, F2PY
project has been actively maintained and many useful features have been
implemented. Here follows some highlights:
* New statement ``usercode`` allows inserting user defined C code to F2PY
generated extension module sources at various relevant places: before
wrapper functions, after variable declarations, and to the end of
initialization function of the module. This makes using F2PY very
* New statement ``pymethoddef`` allows adding items to PyMethodDef-array.
* Full support for character arrays and arrays of strings is finally
* Number of feature requests from users are implemented. For example:
- the auxiliary ``as_column_major_storage()`` that efficiently converts
array to column storage order
- the F2PY_REPORT_ON_ARRAY_COPY macro that when defined sends a message
to stderr when copy of an array with the size larger than specified
threshold is made.
- Numarray support, thanks to Todd Miller.
* Support for Win32 and Mac OSX platforms is considerably improved. The
list of compilers supported by the scipy_distutils package is longer
GNU Fortran Compiler
Portland Group Fortran Compiler
Absoft Corp Fortran Compiler
MIPSpro Fortran Compiler
Sun|Forte Fortran 95 Compiler
Intel Fortran Compiler for 32-bit apps
Intel Visual Fortran Compiler for 32-bit apps
Intel Fortran Compiler for Itanium apps
NAGWare Fortran 95 Compiler
Compaq Fortran Compiler
DIGITAL|Compaq Visual Fortran Compiler
Pacific-Sierra Research Fortran 90 Compiler
HP Fortran 90 Compiler
Lahey/Fujitsu Fortran 95 Compiler
IBM XL Fortran Compiler
* Numerous bugs are fixed. You should definitely update F2PY when using
complex input arrays, there was a nasty bug that in certain cases
caused incorrect results.
* F2PY has now a man page and its documentation is kept up to date. Many
other improvements to F2PY algorithm and usage are implemented, see
HISTORY.txt for more details.
<P><A HREF="http://cens.ioc.ee/projects/f2py2e/">F2PY 2.39.235_1642</A> -
The Fortran to Python Interface Generator (24-Feb-04)