python-dev Summary for 2004-03-01 through 2004-03-15

Brett C. drifty@alum.berkeley.edu
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:46:21 -0500

python-dev Summary for 2004-03-01 through 2004-03-15
March 01, 2004 through March 15, 2004.  It is intended to inform the
wider Python community of on-going developments on the list.  To comment
on anything mentioned here, just post to `comp.lang.python`_ (or email
python-list@python.org which is a gateway to the newsgroup) with a
subject line mentioning what you are discussing. All python-dev members
are interested in seeing ideas discussed by the community, so don't
hesitate to take a stance on something.  And if all of this really
interests you then get involved and join `python-dev`_!

This is the thirty-seventh summary written by Brett Cannon (waiting for
PyCon to start).

To contact me, please send email to brett at python.org ; I do not have
the time to keep up on comp.lang.python and thus do not always catch
follow-ups posted there.

All summaries are archived at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/ .

Please note that this summary is written using reStructuredText_ which
can be found at http://docutils.sf.net/rst.html .  Any unfamiliar
punctuation is probably markup for reST_ (otherwise it is probably
regular expression syntax or a typo =); you can safely ignore it,
although I suggest learning reST; it's simple and is accepted for `PEP
markup`_ and gives some perks for the HTML output.  Also, because of the
wonders of programs that like to reformat text, I cannot guarantee you
will be able to run the text version of this summary through Docutils_
as-is unless it is from the `original text file`_.

.. _PEP Markup: http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0012.html

The in-development version of the documentation for Python can be found
at http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel/ and should be used when looking
up any documentation on something mentioned here.  PEPs (Python
Enhancement Proposals) are located at http://www.python.org/peps/ .  To
view files in the Python CVS online, go to
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/python/ .  Reported bugs
and suggested patches can be found at the SourceForge_ project page.

The `Python Software Foundation`_ is the non-profit organization that
holds the intellectual property for Python.  It also tries to forward
the development and use of Python.  But the PSF_ cannot do this without
donations.  You can make a donation at
http://python.org/psf/donations.html .  Every penny helps so even a
small donation (you can donate through PayPal or by check) helps.

.. _python-dev: http://www.python.org/dev/
.. _SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=5470
.. _python-dev mailing list:
.. _comp.lang.python: http://groups.google.com/groups?q=comp.lang.python
.. _Docutils: http://docutils.sf.net/
.. _reST:
.. _reStructuredText: http://docutils.sf.net/rst.html
.. _PSF:
.. _Python Software Foundation: http://python.org/psf/

.. contents::

.. _last summary:
http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2004-02-01_2004-02-29.html
.. _original text file:
http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2004-03-01_2004-03-15.ht

=====================
Summary Announcements
=====================
Still looking for a summer job or internship programming.  If you know
of one, please let me know.

Ever since I first had to type Martin v. Loewis' name, I have had issues
with Unicode in the summary.  When I realized there was a problem I
thought it was Vim changing my Unicode in some way since I would notice
problems when I reopened the file in TextEdit, OS X's included text
editor that I have always used for writing the summaries (and no, I am
not about to use Vim to do this nor Emacs; spoiled by real-time spelling
and it is just the way I do it).  Well, I was wrong.  Should have known
Vim was not the issue.

Turned out that TextEdit was opening the text files later assuming the
wrong character encoding.  When I forced it to open all files as UTF-8 I
no longer had problems.  This also explains the weird MIME-quoted issues
I had earlier that Aahz pointed out to me since I was just copying from
TextEdit into Thunderbird_, my email client, without realizing TextEdit
was not reading the text properly.  So I thought I finally solved my
problem.  Ha!  Not quite.

Turned out to be a slight issue on the generation of the email based on
the tool chain for how we maintain the python.org web site.  This is in
no way the web team's fault since I have unique requirements for the
Summaries.  But without having to do some recoding of ht2html_ in order
to specify the text encoding, I wasn't sure how I should handle this.

I thought I had this solved under reST_, but my solution turned out not
to work.  So the battle continues.  So, for the moment, Unicode is not
working for the summaries.

And here is a question of people who read the Summaries on a regular
basis: would you get any benefit in having new summaries announced in
the `python.org RSS feed`_?  Since this entails one extra, small step in
each summary I am asking people to email me to let me know if this would
in any way make their lives easier.  So please let me know if knowing
when a new summary is out by way of the RSS feed would be beneficial to
you or if just finding from `comp.lang.python`_ or
`comp.lang.python.announce`_ is enough.

I actually wrote this entire summary either in the airport or on the
flight to DC for PyCon (thank goodness for emergency aisles; my 6'6"
frame would be in much more pain than it is otherwise) and thus on
Spring Break!  I am hoping to use this as a turning point in doing the
Summaries on a semi-monthly basis again.  We will see if Spring quarter
lets me stick to that (expecting a lighter load with less stress next
quarter).

.. _Thunderbird: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/
.. _ht2html: http://ht2html.sf.net/
.. _directive: http://docutils.sourceforge.net/spec/rst/directives.html
.. _python.org RSS feed: http://www.python.org/channews.rdf
.. _PyCon: http://www.pycon.org/
.. _comp.lang.python.announce:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=comp.lang.python.announce&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

=========
Summaries
=========
--------
PEP news
--------
PEP 309 ("Partial Function Application") has been rewritten.

PEP 318 got a ton of discussion, to the point of warranting its own
summary: `PEP 318 and the discussion that will never end`_.
PE 327, which is the spec for the Decimal module in the CVS sandbox, got
an update.

Contributing threads:
   - `PEP 309 re-written
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-March/042865.html>`__
   - `Changes to PEP 327: Decimal data type
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-March/043155.html>`__

Playing willy-nilly with stack frames for speed
A patch to clean up the allocation and remove the freelist (stack frames
not in use that could be used for something else) was proposed.  Of
course it would have been applied immediately if there wasn't a catch:
recursive functions slowed down by around 20%.

A way to get around this was proposed, but it would clutter up the code
which was being simplified in the first place.  Guido said he would
rather have that than have recursive calls take a hit.

Then a flurry of posts came about discussing other ways to try to speed
up stack allocation.

Contributing threads:
   - `scary frame speed hacks
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-March/042871.html>`__
   - `reusing frames
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-March/042914.html>`__

PEP 318 and the discussion that will never end
Just looking at the number of contributing threads to this summary
should give you an indication of how talked about this PEP became.  In
case you don't remember the discussion `last time`_, this PEP covers
function/method(/class?) decorators: having this::

   def foo() [decorate, me]: pass

be equivalent to::

   def foo(): pass
   foo = me(decorate(foo))

What most of the discussion came down to was syntax and the order of
application.  As of this moment it has come down to either the syntax
used above or putting the brackets between the function/method name and
the parameters.  Guido spoke up and said he liked the latter syntax
(which is used by Quixote_).  People, though, pointed out that while the
syntax works for a single argument, adding a long list starts to
separate the parameter tuple farther and farther from the
function/method name.  There was at least one other syntax proposal but
it was shot down quickly.

Order of application seems to have been settled.  Some want the order to
be like in the example.  Others, though, want the reverse order:
``decorate(me(foo))``.  In the end, though, the order in the example
code is what people preferred.

In the end it was agreed the PEP needed to be thoroughly rewritten which
is currently happening.

.. _last time:
2004-02-01_2004-02-29.html#function-decoration-and-all-that-jazz
.. _Quixote: http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/quixote/

Contributing threads:
   - `Pep 318 - new syntax for wrappers
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-March/042902.html>`__
   - `new syntax (esp for wrappers)
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-March/042906.html>`__
   - `PEP 318 - function/method/class decoration
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-March/042917.html>`__
   - `(Specific syntax of) PEP 318 - function/method/class
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-March/042947.html>`__
   - `PEP 318 - generality of list; restrictions on elements
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-March/042951.html>`__
   - `PEP 318 needs a rewrite
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-March/042975.html>`__
   - `Python-Dev Digest, Vol 8, Issue 20
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-March/043033.html>`__
   - `PEP 318 trial balloon (wrappers)
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-March/043076.html>`__
   - `funcdef grammar production
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-March/043142.html>`__

Compiler optimization flags for the core
The topic of compiler flags that are optimal for Python came up when
Raymond Hettinger announced his new LIST_APPEND opcode (discussed later
in `Optimizing: Raymond Hettinger's personal crack`_).  This stemmed
from the fact that the bytecode has not been touched in a while.  This
generated a short discussion on the magic that is caches and how the
eval loop always throws a fit when it gets played with.  One suggestion
was to rework some opcodes to use other opcodes instead in order to
remove the original opcodes entirely from the eval loop.  But it was
pointed out it would be better to just factor out the C code to
functions so that they are just brought into the cache less often
instead of incurring the overhead of more loops through the eval loop.

This then led to AM Kuchling to state that he was planning in giving a
lightning talk at PyCon_ about various compiler optimization flags he
tried out on Python.  Looks like that compiling Python/ceval.c with -Os
(optimizes for space) w/ everything else using -O3 gave the best results
using gcc 3.  This sparked the idea of more architecture-dependent
compiler optimizations which would be set when 'configure' was run and
detected the hardware of the system.

In the end no code was changed in terms of the compiler optimizations.

Contributing threads:
   - `New opcode to simplifiy/speedup list comprehensions
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-March/042924.html>`__
   - `Who cares about the performance of these opcodes?
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-March/042990.html>`__

Take using Python as a calculator to a whole new level
I remember once there was a thread on `comp.lang.python`_ about how to
tell when you had an addiction to Python.  One of the points was when
you start to use Python as your calculator (something I admit to openly;
using the 'sum' built-in is wonderful for quick addition when I would
have used a Scheme interpreter).  Well, Raymond Hettinger had the idea
of adding a 'calculator' module that would provide a ""pretty good"
implementations of things found on low to mid-range calculators like my
personal favorite, the hp32sII student scientific calculator".  He then
listed a bunch of functionality the HP calculator has that he would like
to see as a module.

Beyond sparking some waxing about calculators, and the HP 32sII
especially (I used a TI-82 back in high school and junior college so I
won't even both summarizing the nostalgic daydreaming on HP
calculators), the discussion focused mainly on what functionality to
provide and the accuracy of the calculations.  The former topic focused
on what would be reasonable and relatively easy to implement without
requiring a mathematician to write in order to be correct or fast.

The topic of accuracy, though, was not as clear-cut.  First the issue of
whether to use the in-development Decimal module would be the smart
thing to do.  The consensus was to use Decimal since floating-point,
even with IEEE 754 in place, is not accurate enough for something that
wants to be as accurate as an actual calculator.  Then discussions on
the precision of accuracy came up.  It seemed like it would be important
to have a level of precision kept above the expected output precision to
make sure any rounding errors and such would be kept to a minimum.

Raymond is going to write a PEP outlining the module.

Contributing threads:
   - `calculator module
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-March/043003.html>`__

------------------------
dateutil module proposed
------------------------
Gustavo Niemeyer offered to integrate his dateutil_ module into the
stdlib.  Discussion of how it should tie into datetime and whether all
of it or only some of its functionality should be brought in was
transpired.  As of right now the discussion is still going on.

.. _dateutil: https://moin.conectiva.com.br/DateUtil

Contributing threads:
   - `dateutil
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-March/043054.html>`__

Optimizing: Raymond Hettinger's personal crack
Raymond Hettinger, the speed nut that he is, added a new opcode to
Python to speed up list comprehensions by around 35%.  But his addiction
didn't stop there.

Being the dealer of his own drug of choice, Raymond got his next fix by
improving on iterations for dictionaries (this is, of course, after all
of his work on the list internals).  As always, thanks goes to Raymond
for putting in the work to make sure the CPython interpreter beats the
Parrot_ interpreter by that much more come `OSCON 2004`_ and the
Pie-thon contest.

And, at Hye-Shik Chang's request, Raymond listed off his list of things
to do to feed his addiction so he doesn't go into withdrawls any time in
the future.  Most of them are nice and involved that would make great
personal/research projects.

.. _Parrot: http://www.parrotcode.org/
.. _OSCON 2004: http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2004/

Contributing threads:
   - `New opcode to simplifiy/speedup list comprehensions
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-March/042924.html>`__
   - `Joys of Optimization
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-March/043097.html>`__