Chicago Python Users Group, October 14

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Oct 11 02:56:39 CEST 2004

The Chicago Python User Group, ChiPy, will have its next meeting
on Thursday, October 14, starting at 7pm.  For more information on ChiPy
see http://chipy.org

This month Edward Ream will be giving a presentation on his project,

About the Presentation
----------------------

Leo is an outlining editor that creates and displays relationships
between code and data in a new way; you can't do what Leo does with
Emacs or any other tool. Leo shows these relationships in an outline
using noweb, a simple markup language.  Clones are separate parts of an
outline that represent the same data.  Clones allow you to create
multiple views of data within a single outline.

Edward's talk will briefly discuss outlines, noweb and clones, and then
show how these three powerful features can be combined to clarify and
simplify all aspects of programming: design, coding, testing and unit
test, maintenance, data management and project management.

Edward K. Ream received a masters degree in computer science from the
University of Wisconsin, Madison in 1974 and has been programming ever
since.  He is the author of numerous public domain programs written in
C. He has been working on Leo for almost 10 years. For the last three
years he has been programming exclusively in Python using Leo.

There will also be time to chat, and many opportunities to ask
questions.  We encourage people at all levels to attend.

Location
--------

This month we will be meeting at SMS in downtown Chicago (the same place
we met in August).  The address is 444 N. Michigan Ave, Chicago. Enter
from Michigan Ave., sign in at front desk, and take elevator to 28th floor.

Transportation: parking (at cost) is available at several locations in
the vicinity. Closest is under the Nordstrom building at Rush and Grand.

By public transportation (recommended), take the Red Line to Grand
Avenue Exit. Walk two blocks East to Michigan. Take stairs up to
Michigan. 444 is one block South on the West side of the street.

Wireless (and wired) internet connectivity will be available, so bring
your laptops.

About ChiPy