RELEASED Python 2.4, beta 1

Anthony Baxter anthony at
Sun Oct 17 16:26:24 CEST 2004

On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I'm
happy to announce the first beta of Python 2.4.

Python 2.4b1 is an beta release. We'd greatly appreciate it if you could
download it, kick the tires and let us know of any problems you find,
but it is probably not suitable for production usage.

Notable changes in beta1 include a new subprocess module to provide a
more convenient interface to spawning processes and a new command line
argument -m modulename to run a module from the library. See either the
highlights, the What's New in Python 2.4, or the detailed NEWS file --
all available from the Python 2.4 webpage.

This is the first beta release of Python 2.4. Python 2.4 is now in the
beta part of the release cycle - there should be few or no new features,
merely bug fixes. There will be at least one more beta in a couple of
weeks, followed by a release candidate and then the final release.

Please log any problems you have with this release in the SourceForge
bug tracker (noting that you're using 2.4b1):

Enjoy the new release,

Anthony Baxter
anthony at
Python Release Manager
(on behalf of the entire python-dev team)
Version: GnuPG v1.2.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird -