Bookmarks Database and Internet Robot version 3.4.0 (2004-09-23)

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Thu Sep 23 01:27:28 CEST 2004

Hello!

                    Bookmarks Database and Internet Robot

WHAT IS IT
   A set of classes, libraries, programs and plugins I use to manipulate my
bookmarks.html. I like Mozilla, but I need more features. I want to extend
Mozilla's "Check for updates" feature (Navigator4 called it "Update
bookmarks").

WHAT'S NEW in version 3.4.0 (2004-09-23)
   Extended support for Mozilla; keywords in bookmarks.
   Updated to m_lib version 1.2.

WHAT'S NEW in version 3.3.2
   parse_html.py can now recode unicode entities in titles.

WHAT'S NEW in version 3.3.0
   Required Python 2.2.
   HTML parser. If the protocol is HTTP, and there is Content-Type header, and
content type is text/html, the object is parsed to extract its title; if the
Content-Type header has charset, or if the HTML has <META> with charset, the
title is converted from the given charset to the default charset. The <HEADER>
is also parsed to extract <META> tag with redirect, if any.

WHAT'S NEW in version 3.0
   Complete rewrite from scratch. Created mechanism for pluggable storage
managers, writers (DB dumpers/exporters) and robots.

WHERE TO GET
   Master site:    http://phd.pp.ru/Software/Python/#bookmarks_db

   Faster mirrors: http://phd.by.ru/Software/Python/#bookmarks_db
                http://phd2.chat.ru/Software/Python/#bookmarks_db

AUTHOR
   Oleg Broytmann <phd at phd.pp.ru>

COPYRIGHT
   Copyright (C) 1997-2004 PhiloSoft Design

LICENSE
   GPL

TODO
   Cleanup HTML before parsing  using BeautifulSoap or Tidy.
   Parse downloaded file and get javascript redirects.

   More and better documentation.

   Merge "writers" to storage managers.
   New storage managers: shelve, SQL, ZODB, MetaKit.
   More robots (URL checkers): threading, asyncore-based.

   Configuration file to configure defaults - global defaults for the system
   and local defaults for subsystems.

   Ruleset-based mechanisms to filter out what types of URLs to check: checking
   based on URL schema, host, port, path, filename, extension, etc.

   Detailed reports on robot run - what's old, what's new, what has been moved,
   errors, etc.
   WWW-interface to the report.

   Bigger database. Multiuser database. Robot should operates on a part of
   the DB.
   WWW-interface to the database. User should import/export/edit bookmarks,
   schedule robot run, etc.

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru