ANN: encutils 0.1

csad7@t-online.de csad7 at t-online.de
Sun Jun 26 21:58:30 CEST 2005

Some basic helper functions to deal with encodings of files retrieved
via HTTP.

	Download from http://cthedot.de/encutils/

Currently contained functions:

encodingByMediaType(media_type, log=None)
     Returns for the given Content-Type a default encoding if available,
     e.g. 'utf-8' for 'application/xml'.

getHTTPInfo(httpheaders, log=None)
     Finds content-type and encoding information from HTTP header
     dictionary. Returns (Content-Type, encoding) tuple which may be
     both None. Default encodings of specific Content-Types is used
     (see encodingByContentType).

getMetaInfo(text, log=None)
     Returns (Content-Type, encoding) tuple from (last) X/HTML meta
     element.

guessEncoding(httpheaders, text, log=None)
     Tries to find encoding of given text and uses information in
     httpheaders and textcontent like HTML meta elements or the XML
     declaration (this is not implemented yet). Returns the explicit
     or implicit encoding or None. Mismatch reports are written to the
     log.

If there is a similar thing out please let me know (I know the Cookbook
XML autodetection script which I like to intregrate).

And I would very much appreciate any feedback about spec compliance,
errors or other problems with the functions too. (See
http://cthedot.de/contact/ or http://cthedot.de/blog/).

Thanks a lot!
chris