ANN: PySizer 0.1

Nick Smallbone nick.smallbone at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 23:35:36 CET 2005

I'd like to announce the first release of PySizer, a memory usage
profiler for Python code.
PySizer was written as part of Google's Summer of Code.

The source, documentation and so on are at http://pysizer.8325.org.
The current release is at
http://pysizer.8325.org/dist/sizer-0.1.tar.gz.
The code is kept in a Subversion repository at
http://codespeak.net/svn/user/nick8325/sizer.

The idea is to take a snapshot of memory use at some time, and then
use the functions of the profiler to find information about it.

Features
--------
* You can make a snapshot of all reachable objects at a given time,
  organised as a tree (well, a graph, since there are cycles).

* For any given object, you can find out how much space it takes up,
  what objects it references and so on.

  With a patched version of Python, you can also find out what stack of
  function calls created an object, and what objects were created by
  each stack of calls.

* You can collect objects into groups. For example, you can group each
  object according to the module it appears to come from. Then you can
  treat each module as a single object.

* You can filter objects, find the amount of space used by instances of
  each type, find objects which appeared from one snapshot to the next,
  find the biggest objects/types/groups, and so on.

Requirements
See http://pysizer.8325.org/INSTALL.
The main one is Python 2.4 - I will port it to 2.3 soon.

Bugs, suggestions, comments, problems, anything else