ANN: pywinauto 0.3.4 released - Fixed issue with latest ctypes, speed gains, other changes

Mark Mc Mahon mark.m.mcmahon at
Tue Apr 25 23:32:10 CEST 2006

0.3.4 release of pywinauto is now available.

pywinauto is a set of open-source (LGPL) modules for using Python as a GUI
automation 'driver' for Windows NT based Operating Systems (NT/W2K/XP).

SourceForge project page:

Download from SourceForge

Here is the list of changes from 0.3.3:

0.3.4 Fixed issue with latest ctypes, speed gains, other changes

* The latest version of ctypes ( removed the code generator
  I was using some generated code in (stdcall). I
  was not using those functions so I just commented them out.

* Started the process of renaming methods of the ``Application`` and
  ``WindowSpecification`` classes. I will be converting names to
  ``UppercaseNames_()``. The trailing ``_`` is to disambiguate the
  method names from potential Window titles.

* Updated how print_control_identifiers works so that it now always
  prints the disambiguated control name. (even for single controls)

* Added __hash__ to HwndWrapper so that controls could be dictionary

* Caching various information at various points. For example I cache
  how well two pieces of text match. For short scripts this has
  little impact - but for larger script it could well have a major
  Also caching information for controls that cannot change
  e.g. TopLeveParent, Parent, etc

If you want to follow this project then please sign up to the mailing list:

Mark Mc Mahon
Manchester, NH 03110, USA

<P><A HREF="">pywinauto 0.3.4</A>
Simple Windows GUI automation with Python. (25-Apr-06)