PSF: Funding available for attending PyCon

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Thu Jan 5 05:04:16 CET 2006

The Python Software Foundation has allocated some funds to help people
attend PyCon 2006.  If you'd like to come to PyCon but can't afford it,
maybe the PSF can help you.

The funding can cover any or all of:

    * Your registration for PyCon.
    * Your hotel room at the conference hotel
    * Your flight or other transportation.

To apply, send an e-mail to <pycon at python.org>.  Please state your
name, location, and what you would like to have funded.  If you want
assistance with your transportation costs, please provide a rough
estimate (say, to the nearest US$100) of how much a round-trip
flight/train ride/etc. will cost.

You should also say why you should come to PyCon, and what you'll be
doing.  We don't need an essay, but please provide a few sentences of
explanation.

Messages must be received by January 22 2006.

Upon receiving your message, we'll send you a notice of receipt.  The
PSF's PyCon committee (David Ascher, Steve Holden, Jeremy Hylton,
A.M. Kuchling) will discuss the applications and allocate funding to a
subset of the applicants.  You should be notified of
acceptance/rejection by January 31 2006.

Cost notes: PyCon registration is US$185. Hotel rooms are around
$90/night ~= $300 for the duration of the conference, $700 for
conference + sprints.  The hotel cost can be lower if you find
someone to share a room with.

The PSF can't cover your meals during the conference, or registration
fees for tutorials.  Priority will be given to people who can
contribute significantly to PyCon or to Python, e.g. students working
on a task, conference speakers, sprint leaders or developers critical
to a sprint, or people doing public service work with Python.

We'll be trying to maximize the benefit of the funding, so the
committee is more likely to fund three people who need small amounts
than one person who needs a large amount.  To improve your chances,
please try to request the minimum amount of funding you need to attend
PyCon.

A.M. Kuchling
amk at amk.ca
Chair, PyCon 2006