Zope 3.4.0a1 released

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Thu Apr 19 14:54:05 CEST 2007

19 April 2007 - The Zope 3 development team announces the Zope 3.4.0a1
release

This release introduces support for binary large objects in the ZODB,
provides a new postprocessing hook for publishing results and makes
all Zope packages available as Python eggs.

Development release and feedback
--------------------------------

This is a development release with alpha quality. It is intended for
developers to check their applications for compatibility with the new
features.

This release *is not intended to be used in production environments*.

We'd love to hear about any bugs you encounter. Please use our bug
tracker, the mailing lists, and the IRC channel to contact us in case
you encounter any problems.

This alpha release will be succeeded by a beta which is expected to be
available by 3rd May 2007.

For status updates on our roadmap check:
https://launchpad.net/zope3/3.4/+milestones

What is Zope 3?
---------------

Zope 3 is a web application server that continues to build on the
heritage of Zope.  It was rewritten from scratch based on the latest
software design patterns and the experiences of Zope 2.

The component architecture is the very core of Zope 3 that allows
developers to create flexible and powerful web applications.

Compatibility with Zope 2
--------------------------

We continue to work on the transition from Zope 2 to Zope 3 by making
Zope 2 use more and more of the Zope 3 packages. But we're not there
yet. **You can't run Zope 2 applications in Zope 3.**

New features and important changes
----------------------------------

- Updated the shipped ZODB to version 3.8 and introduced optimized
  handling for large files in  conjunction with ZODB Blob support.
  Most Blob operations can be handled with O(1) effort now providing a
  scalable approach to handling large files.

- Introduced IResult hook for postprocessing of publishing results.
  This replaces a similar private IResult hook from previous releases.
  It is a hook point into which a variety of interesting policies,
  including in-Zope pipelining, can be placed.  See
  zope/publisher/httpresults.txt for more details, which itself points
  to the full details for IResult and IHTTPResponse.setResult in
  zope/publisher/interfaces/http.py.

- zope.app.testing.functional.ZCMLLayer supports in-process tearDown.
  For backwards compatibility, this feature is disabled by default.
  You can enable it by passing ``allow_teardown=True`` to
  ``ZCMLLayer()`` or to ``defineLayer()``.

- Removed unused and untested SFTP code from zope.app.twisted along
  with all the SSH keys. Removed all the SSL keys also.

- Added new Decimal field type to zope.schema (and DecimalWidget in
  zope.app.form) and added security declarations for decimal.Decimal
  objects

- Added new Time field type to zope.schema

- Change the publication object to abort the current transaction if
  the transaction was doomed. Related to:
  http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope3-dev/655.

There were many more features, restructurings and bugs fixed. Please
consult the file `doc/CHANGES.txt` in the release for more
information.

Downloads
---------

Zope 3 can be downloaded from: http://zope.org/Products/Zope3

Installation instructions for both Windows and Un*x/Linux are now
available in the top level README.txt file of the distribution. The
binary installer is recommended for Windows.

Zope 3.4 requires Python 2.4.3 to run. You must also have zlib
installed on your system.

Resources
---------

- Zope 3 Development Web Site:
  http://wiki.zope.org/zope3

- Zope 3 Developers Mailing List:

- Zope 3 Users Mailing List:

- Bug tracker at launchpad:
  https://launchpad.net/zope3

- IRC Channel:
  #zope3-dev at irc.freenode.net

Acknowledgments

Much thanks to everyone who contributed to this release:

Jim Fulton, Dmitry Vasiliev, Martijn Faassen, Christian Theune,
Wolfgang Schnerring, Fred Drake, Marius Gedminas, Baiju M, Brian
Sutherland, Gary Poster