ANN: Gracie v0.2 -- a local-account OpenID provider

Ben Finney ben+openid at benfinney.id.au
Wed Mar 28 05:09:25 CEST 2007

Howdy all,

I'm pleased to announce the creation of the Gracie project.

What is Gracie?
===============

Gracie is an OpenID server (a "provider" in OpenID terminology) that
serves OpenID identities for the local system PAM accounts. It
authenticates users with a username/password challenge.

The OpenID protocol is documented at <URL:http://openid.net/>.

Gracie is intended for use within trusted environments that have an
existing authentication system available via PAM (e.g. most GNU/Linux
environments), that would like to provide OpenIDs for all local users
instead of maintaining disparate web-based accounts for local
services.

What can Gracie do now?
=======================

Gracie 0.2 is still alpha-development software, not intended for use
in production environments. That said, this version does satisfy some
basic requirements.

Currently Gracie can serve OpenID 1.1 authentication for local PAM
users. It will authenticate the user with a web form, using the PAM
system where the Gracie server is running. It assumes that any
consumer request for identity is authorised to be given the user's
identity.

What improvements are needed?

The current state of Gracie is functional but still needs much
improvement. Please check the TODO.txt file in the source package for
a list of improvements that need to be made.

As of this announcement, Gracie version 0.2 is available.

The project's home page is <URL:http://trac.whitetree.org/gracie/>.

--
 \     "When I turned two I was really anxious, because I'd doubled my |
  `\   age in a year. I thought, if this keeps up, by the time I'm six |