Let's make Python the core system administration tool

George Belotsky python at openlight.com
Fri May 11 01:38:06 CEST 2007

My article, "Rethinking the Linux Distribution", was published today
on O'Reilly ONLamp.

  http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2007/05/10/rethinking-the-linux-distribution.html

I have done a lot of research on what the Linux distribution should
look like in the emerging Web 2.0/SaaS/Web OS world, and came up with
a set of recommendations.  The recommendations are backed by running
examples (with source code) and lots of references.  The article also
discusses governance of Free/Open Source projects.

One of my major suggestions is to replace the traditional shell-based
administration infrastructure with Python.  I cover a relatively
recent, highly rated Linux distribution, which has already started
down this path.

The article includes an example of using IPython and Matplotlib for
system administration.

Hope everyone here will enjoy considering a Linux (or *BSD)
distribution, where the core system infrastructure is all in Python.

George.