ANN: amplee 0.6.0 - AtomPub Python implementation

Sylvain Hellegouarch sh at defuze.org
Mon Feb 18 17:21:10 CET 2008

Hi all,

I'm glad to announce the release of amplee in version 0.6.0

== Overview of this release ==

This release is an important move from previous releases as it doesn't
include support for any HTTP layer out of the box anymore. The reason is
that it made the previous API needlessly complex and stopped people to
actually use amplee for what it aims at being: one simple representation
of the AtomPub protocol server side. Basically I wish amplee was used as a
library rather than as a host for AtomPub applications.

The 0.6.x branch will focus therefore on polishing the AtomPub model API
as well as the related sub-packages such as the index and graph extension.
Moreover I would like to improve the performance of amplee although they
have already improved since 0.5.x. The graph sub-package is a first stab
at using graph theory via the igraph [1] package to perform foxy
manipulations of Atom feeds.

One major change since 0.5.x is the move from bridge [2] to Amara [3] to
parse, query and generate XML documents within amplee. I think that change
was for the best considering the capabilities of Amara.

Another change is that I've dropped the INI file format for configuration
and loading an amplee structure. Instead you can now directly use the XML
service document itself and complete using a bit of extra code. That
allows for some funny capabilities such as mirroring existing AtomPub
service document (see the example directory for instance [4]).

I would like to thank Eric Larson [5] and Mohanaraj Gopala Krishnan for
their feedback and patience. They have provided the project with a
tremendous help.

== Download ==

 * easy_install -U amplee
 * Tarballs http://www.defuze.org/oss/amplee/
 * svn co https://svn.defuze.org/oss/amplee/

== Documentation ==

Home page: http://trac.defuze.org/wiki/amplee
API: http://www.defuze.org/oss/amplee/api-0.6.0/
Tutorial (sort of): http://trac.defuze.org/wiki/amplee/Tutorial-0.6.x

== TODO ==

 * Add more tests
 * Improve documentation
 * Improve performance
 * Improve the graph and index sub-packages

Have fun,
-- Sylvain Hellegouarch
http://www.defuze.org

[1] http://cneurocvs.rmki.kfki.hu/igraph/