[Announce] Beta TinyFugue 5 with Python Scripting

Sizer sizer at san.rr.com
Sat Jan 26 09:31:02 CET 2008

I've got a beta version of the Mu* client TinyFugue 5.0b8 (
http://tinyfugue.sourceforge.net/ ) patched to use Python as the
scripting language. TinyFugue is very powerful, and its suitability for
screen makes it a perennial favorite, but the scripting language isn't
nearly as nice as Python (it's ancient).

Rather than write my own Mu* client as everyone else seems to end up
doing, I opted for patching the Python interpreter into TinyFugue and
adding hooks and value conversions both ways - so far it's amazingly
powerful.

I want to get more feedback and usage before I submit any patches to
Ken, so if you want to check it out at
  http://sizer99.com/tf/
and let me know what works and what doesn't I'd appreciate it. I've
provided a patch and an anonymous svn checkout.

I have found an issue where with Python 2.5.0 (but not 2.5.1) where
importing modules that call methods with keywords causes it to return
with a Null object error from PyObject_Call. So don't use it with 2.5.0.

Ron