ANN: ActivePython is now available

Trent Mick trentm at
Sat Nov 15 01:02:46 CET 2008

I'm happy to announce that ActivePython is now
available for download from:

ActivePython is based on Python 2.6.0.

What is ActivePython?

ActivePython is ActiveState's binary distribution of Python. Builds for
Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, HP-UX and AIX are made freely available.

ActivePython includes the Python core and the many core extensions:
zlib and bzip2 for data compression, the SQLite (sqlite3) database
libraries, OpenSSL bindings for HTTPS support, the Tix GUI widgets for
Tkinter, ElementTree for XML processing, ctypes (on supported platforms)
for low-level library access, and others. The Windows distribution ships
with PyWin32 -- a suite of Windows tools developed by Mark Hammond,
including bindings to the Win32 API and Windows COM. See this page for
full details:

As well, ActivePython ships with a wealth of documentation for both new
and experienced Python programmers. In addition to the core Python docs,
ActivePython includes the full "What's New in Python" series, "Dive into
Python", the Python FAQs & HOWTOs, and the Python Enhancement Proposals

An online version of the docs can be found here:

We would welcome any and all feedback to:
      activepython-feedback at

Please file bugs against ActivePython at:

On what platforms does ActivePython run?

ActivePython includes installers for the following platforms:

- Windows/x86
- Mac OS X
- Linux/x86
- Solaris/SPARC
- Solaris/SPARC 64-bit
- Solaris/x86
- Linux/x86_64 ("x86_64" is also known as "AMD64")
- AIX/PowerPC

Extra Bits

ActivePython releases also include the following:

- ActivePython26.chm: An MS compiled help collection
    of the full ActivePython documentation set. Linux users of
    applications such as xCHM might find this useful. This package is
    installed by default on Windows.

Extra bits are available from:

Apologies for the delay. We were crazy-busy getting the Komodo 5.0
release out. Check it out:

Thanks, and enjoy!

p.s. We hope to have ActivePython 3.0 builds out fairly soon.

Trent Mick
Python Tech Lead
trentm at