PyPy Europython Sprint Announcement

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Fri May 29 18:06:40 CEST 2009

Birmingham (UK) EuroPython PyPy Sprints 28-29 June/ 3-4 July 2009

The PyPy team is sprinting at EuroPython again. This year there are
`sprint days`_ before (28-29 June) and after (3-4 July) the conference.
Some PyPy core people should be present during both periods.

.. _`sprint days`: http://wiki.europython.eu/Sprints

If you plan to attend the sprints after the conference we recommend you
to listen to the PyPy technical talk (`EuroPython schedule`_) during the
conference since it will give you a good overview of the status of
development.

Goals and topics of the sprint
------------------------------

There are many possible and interesting sprint topics to work on - here
we list some possible task areas:

  - trying out software on PyPy's Python interpreter: the CPython test
    suite is not all that complete, therefore the fact that we pass most
    tests is no real indication of bug-freeness. We have tried and know
    that frameworks like Django and Twisted work with PyPy. Therefore we
    would like to try running more "real applications" on top of the
    Python interpreter (ideally ones that have a good test suite
    themselves and that don't need unusual extension modules). Running
    things on Windows is also interesting, we know our coverage there is
    not as good as on Linux.

  - check and improve Mac OS X support

  - starting to work on porting 2.6 features to PyPy's Python interpreter

  - ongoing JIT generator work

  - of course we are open to other ideas for what to work on. Examples
    could be working on other language interpreters, sandboxing, ...

------------
Registration
------------

If you'd like to come, please subscribe to the `pypy-sprint mailing
list`_ and drop a note about your interests and post any questions.
More organisational information will be sent to that list.

Please register by adding yourself on the following list (via svn):

   http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/extradoc/sprintinfo/ep2009/people.txt

or on the pypy-sprint mailing list if you do not yet have check-in
rights:

---------------------------------------
Preparation (if you feel it is needed):
---------------------------------------

- read the `getting-started`_ pages on http://codespeak.net/pypy,
   especially also the `development of PyPy itself part`_ .

- for inspiration, overview and technical status you are welcome to read
   `the technical reports available and other relevant documentation`_

- please direct any technical and/or development oriented questions to
   pypy-dev at codespeak.net and any sprint organizing/logistical
   questions to pypy-sprint at codespeak.net

- if you need information about the conference, potential hotels,
   directions etc we recommend to look at http://www.europython.eu.

We are looking forward to meet you at the EuroPython PyPy sprints!

The PyPy team

.. See also ..

.. _getting-started:
http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/getting-started.html