[RELEASED] Python 3.1 Release Candidate 1

Benjamin Peterson benjamin at python.org
Sat May 30 20:04:35 CEST 2009

On behalf of the Python development team, I'm happy to announce the first
release candidate of Python 3.1.

Python 3.1 focuses on the stabilization and optimization of the features and
changes that Python 3.0 introduced.  For example, the new I/O system has been
rewritten in C for speed.  File system APIs that use unicode strings now handle
paths with undecodable bytes in them. Other features include an ordered
dictionary implementation, a condensed syntax for nested with statements, and
support for ttk Tile in Tkinter.  For a more extensive list of changes in 3.1,
see http://doc.python.org/dev/py3k/whatsnew/3.1.html or Misc/NEWS in the Python
distribution.

This is a release candidate, and as such, we do not recommend use in production
environments.  However, please take this opportunity to test the release with
your libraries or applications.  This will hopefully discover bugs before the
final release and allow you to determine how changes in 3.1 might impact you.
If you find things broken or incorrect, please submit a bug report at

     http://bugs.python.org

For more information and downloadable distributions, see the Python 3.1 website:

     http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.1/

See PEP 375 for release schedule details:

     http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0375/

Enjoy,
-- Benjamin

Benjamin Peterson
benjamin at python.org
Release Manager
(on behalf of the entire python-dev team and 3.1's contributors)