[ANN] PyInstaller 1.4
rasky at develer.com
Mon Mar 22 00:50:45 CET 2010
I'm happy to announce PyInstaller 1.4, the first formal release after
several years of quiet development.
=== What it is ===
PyInstaller is a program that converts (packages) Python programs into
stand-alone executables, under Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. It's
similar to py2exe/py2app, but it is multiplatform and with many advanced
The main goal of PyInstaller is to be compatible with 3rd-party packages
out-of-the-box. This means that, with PyInstaller, all the required
tricks to make external packages work are already integrated within
PyInstaller itself so that there is no user intervention required.
You'll never be required to look for tricks in wikis and apply custom
modification to your files or your setup scripts.
=== Features ===
* Packaging of Python programs into standard executables, that
work on computers without Python installed.
* Multiplatform: works under Windows, Linux and Irix. Experimental
Mac OS X support available.
* Multiversion: works under any version of Python from 1.5 up to
2.6. NOTE: Support for Python 2.6+ on Windows is not included in
this release yet. Please see this page for a working patch:
* Flexible packaging mode:
* Single directory: build a directory containing an
executable plus all the external binary modules
(.dll, .pyd, .so) used by the program.
* Single file: build a single executable file, totally
self-contained, which runs without any external
* Custom: you can automate PyInstaller to do whatever
packaging mode you want through a simple script file in
* Explicit intelligent support for many 3rd-packages (for hidden
imports, external data files, etc.), to make them work with
* Full single-file EGG support: .egg files are automatically
packaged by PyInstaller as-is, so that all features are
supported at runtime as well (entry points, etc.).
* Automatic support for binary libraries used through ctypes (see
* Support for automatic binary packing through the well-known UPX
* Support for code-signing executables on Windows.
* Optional console mode (see standard output and standard error at
* Selectable executable icon (Windows only).
* Fully configurable version resource section in executable
* Support for building COM servers (Windows only).
=== ChangeLog ===
For those already using older versions of PyInstaller, the full
changelog for this release can be found here:
=== Feedback ===
We're eager to listent to your feedback on using PyInstaller:
Ticketing system: http://www.pyinstaller.org/newticket
Mailing list: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/PyInstaller
Giovanni Bajo :: Develer S.r.l.
rasky at develer.com :: http://www.develer.com
Last post: ctypes support in PyInstaller
More information about the Python-announce-list