[RELEASED] Python 2.7.1 release candidate 1

Benjamin Peterson benjamin at python.org
Sun Nov 14 00:12:22 CET 2010

On behalf of the Python development team, I'm chuffed to announce the a release
candidate of Python 2.7.1.

Please test the release candidate with your packages and report any bugs you
find.  2.7.1 final is scheduled in two weeks.

2.7 includes many features that were first released in Python 3.1. The faster io
module, the new nested with statement syntax, improved float repr, set literals,
dictionary views, and the memoryview object have been backported from 3.1. Other
features include an ordered dictionary implementation, unittests improvements, a
new sysconfig module, auto-numbering of fields in the str/unicode format method,
and support for ttk Tile in Tkinter.  For a more extensive list of changes in
2.7, see http://doc.python.org/dev/whatsnew/2.7.html or Misc/NEWS in the Python
distribution.

To download Python 2.7.1 visit:

     http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.7.1/

The 2.7.1 changelog is at:

     http://svn.python.org/projects/python/tags/r271rc1/Misc/NEWS

2.7 documentation can be found at:

     http://docs.python.org/2.7/

This is a testing release, so we encourage developers to test it with their
applications and libraries.  Please report any bugs you find, so they can be
fixed in the final release.  The bug tracker is at:

     http://bugs.python.org/

Enjoy!

--
Benjamin Peterson
Release Manager
benjamin at python.org
(on behalf of the entire python-dev team and 2.7.1's contributors)