Announcing Python Tools for Visual Studio - RC2

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Tue Aug 2 02:02:23 CEST 2011

We're pleased to announce the release of Python Tools for Visual Studio - RC 2. Python Tools for Visual Studio (PTVS) is an open-source plug-in for Visual Studio which supports programming with the Python programming language. PTVS is released under the Apache License, 2.0. This release includes the core features you'd expect from most IDEs including:
	Advanced code modeling which enable intellisense, finding references, and goto definition.
	Supports for common refactorings such as rename variable and extract method
	Support for debugging and profiling Python applications
	Integrated IPython REPL support for interactive development and interactive cluster development
	Support for MPI cluster debugging including automatic deployment to the cluster

PTVS supports working with your Python distribution of choice - whether that's the standard Python distribution, an alternate packaging of CPython such as Enthought Python Distribution or ActivePython, or a completely different Python implementation such as IronPython or PyPy. PTVS supports all versions of Python from 2.5 through 3.2 - so no matter what Python you're likely to find it supported. In addition to supporting any Python implementation PTVS contains integrated support for IronPython including drag and drop GUI support and enhanced intellisense when working with .NET APIs.

This release includes only minor bug fixes for issues reported against RC1 and discovered via our own internal testing. This is planned to be the last release candidate before releasing 1.0 final. A complete list of issues fixed for this release is available here: http://bit.ly/PTVS-fixed-issues-RC2

We'd like to thank all of the users who took the time to report issues and feedback: andresmac, AphexSA, bkadamgk, cendalc, cyberchand, flyingfether, JulesJacobs, lundebro, Tiphon, and xavier_grundus.

Thanks,
The Python Tools for Visual Studio Team