Announcing Python Tools for Visual Studio RC1

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Tue Jul 12 01:51:43 CEST 2011

Hello,
We're pleased to announce the release of Python Tools for Visual Studio - RC 1 [http://pytools.codeplex.com/releases/view/64009]. This release includes lots of bug fixes and several new features selected from the top voted features on CodePlex.  Some of the most significant changes are support for refactoring (renaming variables and extracting methods), several REPL features such as history search and support for attaching the debugger, support for breaking only on unhandled exceptions in the debugger and enabling the File->New Project from existing code for Python projects.
This release also fixes nearly 200 bugs reported by users on CodePlex and through our own internal testing.  Some of the more significant changes include performance fixes for debugging, improvements to the code analysis in particular in understanding packages and modules, fixes for working with projects under source control, and many improvements to the interactive REPL window including better IronPython support.
A complete list of issues fixed for this release is available here: http://pytools.codeplex.com/workitem/list/advanced?keyword=&status=Fixed|Closed&type=Feature|Issue&priority=All&release=1.0%20Release%20Candidate%201&assignedTo=All&component=All&sortField=LastUpdatedDate&sortDirection=Descending&page=0
We'd like to thank all of the users who took the time to report issues and feedback: 445363200, alegault, asqui, bobsh, CalebMB, chuckjacobs, cspwcspw, HugoRien, joxn, jrade, lifning, MichaelBaker, mloskot, ohaynold, OldWarhorse, PingLin, pymab, roxtar, sei_empower, SpudInNZ, stevedeitz, sumitbasu, unplugea, wesley0423 , and Zooba.

Thanks,
The Python Tools for Visual Studio Team