[ANN] EuroScipy 2011 - deadline extended

Tiziano Zito opossumnano at gmail.com
Sun May 8 13:19:23 CEST 2011

===================================
EuroScipy 2011 - Deadline Extended!
===================================

Deadline extended!
You can submit your contribution until Friday May 13.

The 4th European meeting on Python in Science

**Paris, Ecole Normale Supérieure, August 25-28 2011**

We are happy to announce the 4th EuroScipy meeting, in Paris, August
2011.

The EuroSciPy meeting is a cross-disciplinary gathering focused on
the use and development of the Python language in scientific
research. This event strives to bring together both users and
developers of scientific tools, as well as academic research and
state of the art industry.

Main topics
===========
- Presentations of scientific tools and libraries using the
  Python language, including but not limited to:
  - vector and array manipulation
  - parallel computing
  - scientific visualization
  - scientific data flow and persistence
  - algorithms implemented or exposed in Python
  - web applications and portals for science and engineering.
- Reports on the use of Python in scientific achievements or ongoing
  projects.
- General-purpose Python tools that can be of special interest to the
  scientific community.

Tutorials
=========
There will be two tutorial tracks at the conference, an introductory one,
to bring up to speed with the Python language as a scientific tool, and
an advanced track, during which experts of the field will lecture on
specific advanced topics such as advanced use of numpy, scientific
visualization, software engineering...

Keynote Speaker: Fernando Perez
===============================
We are excited to welcome Fernando Perez (UC Berkeley, Helen Wills
Neuroscience Institute, USA) as our keynote speaker. Fernando Perez
is the original author of the enhanced interactive python shell
IPython and a very active contributor to the Python for Science
ecosystem.

Important dates
===============
Talk submission deadline: Sunday May 8
Program announced:        Sunday May 29
Tutorials tracks:         Thursday August 25 - Friday August 26
Conference track:         Saturday August 27 - Sunday August 28

Call for papers
===============
We are soliciting talks that discuss topics related to scientific
computing using Python. These include applications, teaching, future
development directions, and research. We welcome contributions from
the industry as well as the academic world. Indeed, industrial
research and development as well academic research face the
challenge of mastering IT tools for exploration, modeling and
analysis.  We look forward to hearing your recent breakthroughs
using Python!

Submission guidelines
=====================
- We solicit talk proposals in the form of a one-page long abstract.
- Submissions whose main purpose is to promote a commercial product or
  service will be refused.
- All accepted proposals must be presented at the EuroSciPy conference
  by at least one author.

The one-page long abstracts are for conference planing and selection
purposes only. We will later select papers for publication of
post-proceedings in a peer-reviewed journal.

How to submit an abstract
=========================
To submit a talk to the EuroScipy conference follow the instructions
here:
http://www.euroscipy.org/card/euroscipy2011_call_for_papers

Organizers
==========
Chairs:
 - Gaël Varoquaux (INSERM, Unicog team, and INRIA, Parietal team)
 - Nicolas Chauvat (Logilab)

Local organization committee:
 - Emmanuelle Gouillart (Saint-Gobain Recherche)
 - Jean-Philippe Chauvat (Logilab)

Tutorial chair:
 - Valentin Haenel (MKP, Technische Universität Berlin)

Program committee:
 - Chair: Tiziano Zito (MKP, Technische Universität Berlin)
 - Romain Brette (ENS Paris, DEC)
 - Emmanuelle Gouillart (Saint-Gobain Recherche)
 - Eric Lebigot (Laboratoire Kastler Brossel, Université Pierre et
   Marie Curie)
 - Konrad Hinsen (Soleil Synchrotron, CNRS)
 - Hans Petter Langtangen (Simula laboratories)
 - Jarrod Millman (UC Berkeley, Helen Wills NeuroScience institute)
 - Mike Müller (Python Academy)
 - Didrik Pinte (Enthought Inc)
 - Marc Poinot (ONERA)
 - Christophe Pradal (CIRAD/INRIA, Virtual Plantes team)
 - Andreas Schreiber (DLR)
 - Stéfan van der Walt (University of Stellenbosch)

Website
=======
http://www.euroscipy.org/conference/euroscipy_2011