New project | quicli: write command line interfaces quickly

Kyle Alan Hale dev at kylealanhale.com
Wed Sep 14 07:49:06 CEST 2011

Quicli is a wrapper around Python's built in argparse module.  While
argparse focuses on a comprehensive set of features, quicli emphasizes
a simple, easy-to-use interface, driven by function metadata and
decorators, with integrated data validation.

This isn't meant to replace argparse (it depends on it, actually) but
to enhance it. Where argparse is strong, quicli reinforces. Where
argparse is bulky, quicli is svelte.  What quicli lacks, it still
allows argparse to provide.

For usage and installation instructions, visit <http://
dev.kylealanhale.com/wiki/projects/quicli>

Features:
* Major argparse features are implemented and accessible via function
decorators
* Introspects default values for argument names and types, as well as
program name, description, and help message
* Simple validation of user input
* An extended FileType object
* The ability to restart a program on error (optionally with different
input values than were initially provided) for seamless error recovery
* Progress context managers (visual feedback helpers, including a text-
based progress bar)
* Unit tests for all of the above
* Extensive documentation

This is my first public python project, so I'm eager for feedback from
the community.