[ANN] Python Tools for Visual Studio 1.5 Beta
dinov at microsoft.com
Thu Jun 7 18:51:09 CEST 2012
We're pleased to announce the release of Python Tools for Visual Studio 1.5 Beta [http://pytools.codeplex.com/releases/view/88766]. Python Tools for Visual Studio (PTVS) is an open-source plug-in for Visual Studio which supports programming with the Python language. PTVS supports a broad range of features including:
* Supports CPython, IronPython, Jython and PyPy
* Python editor with advanced member, signature intellisense and refactoring
* Code navigation: "Find all refs", goto definition, and object browser
* Local and remote debugging
* Profiling with multiple views
* Integrated Python interactive session window with inline matplotlib graphics
* Support for HPC clusters and MPI, including debugging and Profiling
* Interactive parallel computing via integrated IPython REPL (read-evaluate-print-loop)
The primary new feature for this release is Django including Azure support! The http://www.djangoproject.com is a popular Python webframework/CMS which is used by many reputable companies and high-traffic websites. In this Beta release, the following are supported:
* Create a New Project / Django Application
* Add Django HTML Template
* Intellisense for Django templates
* Runtime debugging of Django templates
* Use IIS with a pure-Python FastCGI interface
* Support for deploying to Windows Azure when Windows Azure Tools for Visual Studio is installed
For more information on Python support for Windows Azure, please see http://www.windowsazure.com. This release also introduces Python client libraries for Windows Azure services available via PyPI that work across Windows, Linux and Mac OS operating systems.
The 1.5 release also includes several new intellisense features including some contributed by the community. This includes completions after "def " based upon methods defined in base classes and completions for exception types after "raise" statements" (thanks Zooba!). There are also improvements to the import intellisense.
Full list of issues addressed in 1.5 beta:
714 VS crashes when open project
713 Import Intellisense should work after typing ","
712 IronPython REPL runs in builtin and not main
704 pyopencl causes AttributeError when run under the debugger.
702 VS startup crash
699 Resolve import box doesn't show when I hover the mouse on functions.
676 exception when launching a python solution with vs2010
667 stop executing when error occurs
711 Send to REPL fails with "The Python REPL process has exited"
717 Error in Interactive window crashes VS
We'd like to thank the following people who took the time to report the issues and feedback for this release:
ajp, Anna0311, golubdr, hjyh, hyh, mahpour, tramsay, and zooba.
More information about the Python-announce-list