[ANN] Nanpy 0.9.1

Andrea Stagi stagi.andrea at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 14:44:47 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I'm glad to announce you Nanpy 0.9.1 release, with little fixes on
DallasTemperature module! https://pypi.python.org/pypi/nanpy/0.9.1

We need contributors!

Nanpy needs a lot of work to be a great tool. You can contribute with code
(bugfixing, improvements, creating support for a new library not included
in Nanpy yet, writing examples and more), writing documentation, reporting
bugs, creating packages or simply spreading Nanpy through the web if you
like it :)
Our organization works on Github at https://github.com/nanpy

Do you want to support us with a coffee? We need it to code all night long!
if you like this project and you want to support it with some cents, please
donate :)
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=TDTPP5JHVJK8J

If you have any doubt or problem, please contact me at stagi dot andrea at
gmail dot com

What you can do with Nanpy
------------------------------------
The main purpose of Nanpy is making programmers' life easier, giving them
something to create prototypes faster and use Arduino in a simpler way,
thanks to a simple and powerful language like Python. Also Nanpy can run on
RaspberryPi (tested with Raspbian http://www.raspbian.org/) so you can use
it for communicating with Arduino and create awesome projects like
Chickenfoot (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8FywaVDCes) :)

Let's start with a classic example, turn on a led placed in the 13th pin..

        from nanpy import (ArduinoApi, SerialManager)

        connection = SerialManager()
        a = ArduinoApi(connection=connection)
        a.pinMode(13, a.OUTPUT)
        a.digitalWrite(13, a.HIGH)

NOTE: you can also use the old serial_manager global object

Nanpy autodetects the serial port for you, anyway you can specify another
serial port manually:

        from nanpy import SerialManager
        connection = SerialManager(device='/dev/ttyACM1')

There are a lot of projects able to do that. Nanpy can do more!
Nanpy is easily extensible and can theoretically use every library,
allowing you to create how many objects you want.
We started supporting OneWire, Lcd, Stepper and Servo library and they're
still incomplete.
Let's try to connect our 16x2 lcd screen on pins 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and
print something!

        from nanpy import SerialManager, Lcd
        connection = SerialManager()
        lcd = Lcd([7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12], [16, 2], connection=connection)
        lcd.printString("Hello World!")

really straightforward now, isn't it? :)

How to build and install
You need to build the firmware for your Arduino first, just clone the
firmware repository at https://github.com/nanpy/firmware and follow the
README to configure, build and upload it.

To install Nanpy Python library just type (as root):

        python setup.py install

--
Andrea Stagi (@4stagi) - Software Engineer @ Atooma Inc.
Job profile: http://linkedin.com/in/andreastagi