[RELEASE] Python 2.7.9

Benjamin Peterson benjamin at python.org
Wed Dec 10 23:59:00 CET 2014

It is my pleasure to announce the release of Python 2.7.9, a new bugfix
release in the Python 2.7 series. Despite technically being a
maintenance release, Python 2.7.9 includes several majors changes from
2.7.8:

- The "ensurepip" module has been backported to Python 2.7
- Python 3's ssl module has been backported to Python 2.7.
- HTTPS certificates are now verified by default using the system's
certificate store.
- SSLv3 has been disabled by default due to the POODLE attack.

Downloads are at
    https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-279/

Please report bugs to
    https://bugs.python.org/

I would  like to thank the people who made the above security and
usability improvements listed above possible. Among others, Alex Gaynor,
David Reid, Nick Coghlan, and Donald Stufft wrote many PEPs and a lot of
code to bring those features to 2.7.9. Thank you.

Enjoy,
Benjamin
2.7 release manager
on behalf on python-dev and all of Python's contributors