qutebrowser v0.1 released

me at the-compiler.org me at the-compiler.org
Sun Dec 14 23:02:49 CET 2014

Hi,

Exactly a year after the first commit[1] I'm proud to announce
qutebrowser v0.1 has been released!

qutebrowser is a keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on Python3, PyQt5 and
QtWebKit - similiar to projects like Vimperator/Pentadactyl, dwb,
luakit, and others.

More information about qutebrowser is available at www.qutebrowser.org
Downloads are available at [2].

I originally started with qutebrowser because it was announced dwb (my
favourite browser at the time) was unmaintained[3] and I was
unsatisfied with existing alternatives.

A year later, I feel like the existing functionality is more than
enough for it to be used as a daily driver - and I as well as several
other people already do so.

The following features are already available:

    - All the basic functionality you'd expect (i.e. browsing, tabs,
      javascript, flash support, etc.)
    - Modal, vim-like input scheme.
    - Cross-platform support (Linux, Windows, OS X)
    - Adblocking via /etc/hosts-like files.
    - Hinting (selecting links via keyboard)
    - Downloads
    - quickmarks (bookmarks with a label)
    - Userscripts (e.g. shellscripts writing commands to a FIFO)
    - Basic completion for commands, settings and quickmarks

Support is available in #qutebrowser on Freenode via IRC, or on the
mailinglist at qutebrowser at lists.qutebrowser.org (see [4]). I can be reached at
mail at qutebrowser.org.

I'd be happy to hear about your thoughts and feature requests either
via the above channels, or via the issue tracker at [5].

Thanks to the following contributors:

    - longneck
    - rikn00
    - Brian Jackson
    - Mathias Fussenegger
    - Johannes Altmanninger
    - Peter Vilim
    - Martin Zimmermann
    - WOFall
    - regines

I also want to thank everyone who tested qutebrowser before this
release and provided their valuable input and bugreports.

Florian

[1] https://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/commit/11a94957dc038fc27c5ff976197ad2b2d0352d20
[2] https://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/releases
[3] https://bitbucket.org/portix/dwb/pull-request/22/several-cleanups-to-increase-portability/diff#comment-3217936