ANN: BlitzDB 0.1 - Embedabble, document-oriented database written entirely in Python

andreas.d at posteo.de andreas.d at posteo.de
Fri Mar 14 01:01:00 CET 2014

Hi all,

I just released the first version (0.1) of BlitzDB, an embeddable,
document-based database written entirely in Python. The software is
open-source and released under the MIT license, the code is available on
Github:

https://github.com/adewes/blitzdb

The documentation is hosted on ReadTheDocs:

http://blitz-db.readthedocs.org

The database ships with a native, file-based backend that has no
external dependencies. In addition, it can be used as a wrapper around
third-party database engines such as MongoDB. Some more features:

* document-based, object-oriented interface
* powerful and rich querying language comparable to MongoDB
* deep document indexes on arbitrary fields
* compressed storage of documents
* support for multiple backends (e.g. file-based storage, MongoDB)
* support for database transactions (currently only for the file-based
backend)

The current, fully functional release is on PyPi
(https://pypi.python.org/pypi/blitzdb/0.1) and can be installed using
e.g. pip or easy_install:

     pip install blitzdb
     #or
     easy_install blitzdb

The main motivation for writing this was to create an embeddable,
document-oriented database that I could use in my Python projects (e.g.
command line tools) without having to worry about setting up and
maintaining additional software or servers. The project is NOT intended
as a fully-fledged replacement for MongoDB or other document databases.

I would love to hear your feedback on this project and I'm actively
looking for contributors, so feel free to get in touch with me (you can
find my e-mail on Github).

Best regards
Andreas

Embedabble, document-oriented database written entirely in Python