EuroPython 2016 Keynote: Gaël Varoquaux

M.-A. Lemburg mal at europython.eu
Fri Jun 3 06:01:02 EDT 2016

We are pleased to announce our final keynote speaker for EuroPython
2016:

			*** Gaël Varoquaux ***

About Gaël Varoquaux
--------------------

Gaël Varoquaux is an INRIA faculty researcher working on data science
for brain imaging in the Neurospin brain research institute (Paris,
France).

His research focuses on modeling and mining brain activity in relation
to cognition. Years before the NSA, he was hoping to make
bleeding-edge data processing available across new fields, and he has
been working on a mastermind plan building easy-to-use open-source
software in Python.

He is a core developer of scikit-learn, joblib, Mayavi and nilearn, a
nominated member of the PSF, and often teaches scientific computing
with Python using the scipy lecture notes.

The Keynote:
Scientist meets web dev: how Python became the language of data

Python started as a scripting language, but now it is the new trend
everywhere and in particular for data science, the latest rage of
computing. It didn’t get there by chance: tools and concepts built by
nerdy scientists and geek sysadmins provide foundations for what is
said to be the sexiest job: data scientist.

    "In my talk I’ll give a personal perspective, historical and
    technical, on the progress of the scientific Python ecosystem,
    from numerical physics to data mining.

    I will discuss low-level technical aspects, such as how the Python
    world makes it easy to move large chunks of number across code,
    touch upon current exciting developments in scikit-learn and
    joblib, but also talk about softer topics, such as project
    dynamics or documentation, as software’s success is determined by
    people."

With gravitational regards,
--
EuroPython 2016 Team
http://ep2016.europython.eu/

PS: Please forward or retweet to help us reach all interested parties:
https://twitter.com/europython/status/738669507724595200
Thanks.