[Python-authors] Author Python Book - Packt Publishing

Julie Steele jsteele at oreilly.com
Thu Dec 17 22:30:17 CET 2009

Hi everyone,

First, full disclosure: I'm an Editor with O'Reilly.

I just wanted to contribute the note that when a publisher states its royalty rate as a percentage, you need to ask: "of what?"  Some publishers calculate royalties as a percentage of profit rather than of net revenue, or their definitions of "net revenue" may vary.  So just looking at one publisher's percentage vs. another is usually a comparison of apples to oranges anyway.

Then there's the matter of how many copies they expect to sell.  Some publishers sign books only if they expect the book to do well and make a profit; others are willing to take a hit on some niche books and expect to make up that revenue with a few blockbusters -- which is all well and good, unless you're the author of one of the niche books that never earns out its advance.  (The silver lining here is that this is how books on niche topics are made available to those that want them; if you're considering writing on such a topic and are primarily concerned with publicizing your content or growing your community, then this could be the way to go.  Just be aware that you might not make any money doing it.)

These are all good things to ask a publisher you're considering working with (as well as questions Wesley indicates, such as what the tech review and editing process will be like, and who is responsible for that: some publishers ask authors to handle their own tech review).

It's always good to know what you're getting yourself into, no matter whom you're considering working with.

Happy writing,
Julie