[Python-bugs-list] Possible bug in Python 1.5.x (PR#91)

lele@seldati.it lele@seldati.it
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 04:01:19 -0400 (EDT)


--HA6n+H7tic
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Description: message body text
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hi all,
I'm forwarding this because I didn't receive an ACK from GvR. I'd like 
to hear something on the matter; in the meantime I searched the bugs
archive but didn't find anything fitting.

Thanx a lot,
bye, lele.


--HA6n+H7tic
Content-Type: message/rfc822
Content-Description: forwarded message
Content-Disposition: inline
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Message-ID: <14321.21121.269781.745202@paci.nautilus>
In-Reply-To: <19990927224546.A27570@joker.rhwd.owl.de>
References: <55694952C05DD2119CFF0008C7A4518101277B@HO-NT-01>
	<14315.50701.493215.765326@paci.nautilus>
	<v04220303b411a28904d7@[194.105.65.2]>
	<14317.413.460416.916258@paci.nautilus>
	<14318.24767.537657.23927@paci.nautilus>
	<19990927174718.A22553@joker.rhwd.owl.de>
	<14319.52307.661922.223595@paci.nautilus>
	<19990927224546.A27570@joker.rhwd.owl.de>
X-Mailer: VM 6.73 under 20.4 "Emerald" XEmacs  Lucid
From: Lele Gaifax <lele@seldati.it>
To: pyapache-devel@msg.com.mx
Cc: Guido Van Rossum <guido@python.org>
Subject: Possible bug in Python 1.5.x (was PyApache & apxs (or not))
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 01:42:57 +0200 (CEST)

>>>>> "AR" == Alexander Reelsen <ar@rhwd.net> writes:

    AR> Sorry for mixing up this thread, but: Afaik not ;). So here we
    AR> go: (I hope I didn't forget anything) This is python 1.5.2,
    AR> Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 (aka potato) with glibc 2.1.2 PyApache is
    AR> 4.16.

Hi,
I think I isolated the problem! And I'm almost sure that it's on the
Python side. I'm CCing this directly to Guido (hi again!).

It's caused by Py_VerboseFlag+Py_NewInterpreter(). For example, trying 
Demo/pysrv/pysrv with PYTHONVERBOSE set causes a segfault.

The reason is that with that flag on, the call to
_PyImport_FindExtension in turn call PySys_WriteStderr(), then
PySys_GetObject to lookup the "stderr" file in the sysdict... but
interp->sysdict isn't initialized yet, it will be a few statement
later in Py_NewInterpreter()!

So, I think that either PySys_WriteStderr() do its own check on
whether the syserr actually exist or the code in Py_NewInterpreter()
must be changed (the order of init).

Maybe I missed something obvious, but the pysrv demo seems to confirm
the bug.

Meanwhile, about Alexander's problem I would suggest to turn off the
verbosity in the httpd.conf.

Hope this help,
bye & thanx.
-- 
nickname: Lele Gaifax	| Quando vivro' di quello che ho pensato ieri
real: Emanuele Gaifas	| comincero' ad aver paura di chi mi copia.
email: lele@seldati.it	|		-- Fortunato Depero, 1929.


--HA6n+H7tic
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Description: .signature
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit


-- 
nickname: Lele Gaifax	| Quando vivro' di quello che ho pensato ieri
real: Emanuele Gaifas	| comincero' ad aver paura di chi mi copia.
email: lele@seldati.it	|		-- Fortunato Depero, 1929.


--HA6n+H7tic--