[Python-buildbots] Moving Python.org to Buildbot 9 + Python 3

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at crodrigues.org
Wed Sep 20 06:27:59 EDT 2017

In the past two years, I've put a lot of effort into porting the following
to Python 3:

Twisted:
https://www.slideshare.net/CraigRodrigues1/the-onward-
journey-porting-twisted-to-python-3

Buildbot:
https://github.com/buildbot/buildbot/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&
q=is%3Aclosed%20is%3Apr%20author%3Arodrigc%20

I would like to help Python.org move to Buildbot 9 + Python 3 for the
following
reasons:

(1)  Python.org currently uses Buildbot 0.8.14.  This branch of buildbot is
not under active development and is not being ported to Python 3.

(2)  The current version of Buildbot (0.9.11) is on the main branch which
is actively maintained.  This branch has been ported to Python 3.

(3)  Buildbot 0.8.14 is not actively being maintained.

(4)  Buildbot 0.9.x is actively receiving updates for new features such as
Docker support, and support for Hyper.sh.

A while back, I worked with Zachary Ware, who set up a proof of concept of
running Buildbot 9 on Python.org.

Zachary set this up:

https://buildbot.python.org/test/

That is an instance running Buildbot 9, using Python 3.4.3 and Twisted
17.5.0.

This is only a proof of concept, and is not actively being used or worked
on.

What are the next steps to completely convert Python.org to use Buildbot 9?
Who can help with this?

--
Craig