[Python-checkins] bpo-32035: Fix words about strings and bytes in zipfile documentation. (GH-10592)
Miss Islington (bot)
webhook-mailer at python.org
Sun Nov 25 04:30:50 EST 2018
author: Miss Islington (bot) <31488909+miss-islington at users.noreply.github.com>
committer: GitHub <noreply at github.com>
bpo-32035: Fix words about strings and bytes in zipfile documentation. (GH-10592)
(cherry picked from commit 4bb186d7e253ad4def875305e06690181e923dfd)
Co-authored-by: Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com>
diff --git a/Doc/library/zipfile.rst b/Doc/library/zipfile.rst
index 7804e92e5374..e1f8b9a4a32a 100644
@@ -378,13 +378,6 @@ ZipFile Objects
The archive must be open with mode ``'w'``, ``'x'`` or ``'a'``.
- .. note::
- There is no official file name encoding for ZIP files. If you have unicode file
- names, you must convert them to byte strings in your desired encoding before
- passing them to :meth:`write`. WinZip interprets all file names as encoded in
- CP437, also known as DOS Latin.
Archive names should be relative to the archive root, that is, they should not
@@ -404,7 +397,9 @@ ZipFile Objects
.. method:: ZipFile.writestr(zinfo_or_arcname, data, compress_type=None, \
- Write the string *data* to the archive; *zinfo_or_arcname* is either the file
+ Write a file into the archive. The contents is *data*, which may be either
+ a :class:`str` or a :class:`bytes` instance; if it is a :class:`str`,
+ it is encoded as UTF-8 first. *zinfo_or_arcname* is either the file
name it will be given in the archive, or a :class:`ZipInfo` instance. If it's
an instance, at least the filename, date, and time must be given. If it's a
name, the date and time is set to the current date and time.
@@ -445,11 +440,11 @@ The following data attributes are also available:
.. attribute:: ZipFile.comment
- The comment text associated with the ZIP file. If assigning a comment to a
+ The comment associated with the ZIP file as a :class:`bytes` object.
+ If assigning a comment to a
:class:`ZipFile` instance created with mode ``'w'``, ``'x'`` or ``'a'``,
- this should be a
- string no longer than 65535 bytes. Comments longer than this will be
- truncated in the written archive when :meth:`close` is called.
+ it should be no longer than 65535 bytes. Comments longer than this will be
@@ -606,13 +601,14 @@ Instances have the following methods and attributes:
.. attribute:: ZipInfo.comment
- Comment for the individual archive member.
+ Comment for the individual archive member as a :class:`bytes` object.
.. attribute:: ZipInfo.extra
Expansion field data. The `PKZIP Application Note`_ contains
- some comments on the internal structure of the data contained in this string.
+ some comments on the internal structure of the data contained in this
+ :class:`bytes` object.
.. attribute:: ZipInfo.create_system
diff --git a/Lib/zipfile.py b/Lib/zipfile.py
index a43878575db8..d2d3b693282d 100644
@@ -402,7 +402,7 @@ def __repr__(self):
def FileHeader(self, zip64=None):
- """Return the per-file header as a string."""
+ """Return the per-file header as a bytes object."""
dt = self.date_time
dosdate = (dt - 1980) << 9 | dt << 5 | dt
dostime = dt << 11 | dt << 5 | (dt // 2)
@@ -1424,7 +1424,7 @@ def comment(self, comment):
self._didModify = True
def read(self, name, pwd=None):
- """Return file bytes (as a string) for name."""
+ """Return file bytes for name."""
with self.open(name, "r", pwd) as fp:
More information about the Python-checkins