[Python-checkins] unittest.mock doc: Fix references to recursive seal of Mocks (GH-9028)
webhook-mailer at python.org
Fri Oct 19 17:57:40 EDT 2018
author: Mario Corchero <mariocj89 at gmail.com>
committer: Victor Stinner <vstinner at redhat.com>
unittest.mock doc: Fix references to recursive seal of Mocks (GH-9028)
The docs in `library/unittest.mock` have been updated to remove
confusing terms about submock and be explicit about the behavior
diff --git a/Doc/library/unittest.mock.rst b/Doc/library/unittest.mock.rst
index edafca0c674e..136804cfc2c8 100644
@@ -2410,17 +2410,18 @@ Sealing mocks
.. function:: seal(mock)
- Seal will disable the creation of mock children by preventing getting or setting
- of any new attribute on the sealed mock. The sealing process is performed recursively.
+ Seal will disable the automatic creation of mocks when accessing an attribute of
+ the mock being sealed or any of its attributes that are already mocks recursively.
- If a mock instance is assigned to an attribute instead of being dynamically created
+ If a mock instance with a name or a spec is assigned to an attribute
it won't be considered in the sealing chain. This allows one to prevent seal from
fixing part of the mock object. ::
>>> mock = Mock()
>>> mock.submock.attribute1 = 2
- >>> mock.not_submock = mock.Mock()
+ >>> mock.not_submock = mock.Mock(name="sample_name")
+ >>> mock.new_attribute # This will raise AttributeError.
>>> mock.submock.attribute2 # This will raise AttributeError.
>>> mock.not_submock.attribute2 # This won't raise.
diff --git a/Lib/unittest/mock.py b/Lib/unittest/mock.py
index 83026e6f3bd3..6b7f293bc5e0 100644
@@ -2425,15 +2425,14 @@ def __set__(self, obj, val):
- """Disable the automatic generation of "submocks"
+ """Disable the automatic generation of child mocks.
Given an input Mock, seals it to ensure no further mocks will be generated
when accessing an attribute that was not already defined.
- Submocks are defined as all mocks which were created DIRECTLY from the
- parent. If a mock is assigned to an attribute of an existing mock,
- it is not considered a submock.
+ The operation recursively seals the mock passed in, meaning that
+ the mock itself, any mocks generated by accessing one of its attributes,
+ and all assigned mocks without a name or spec will be sealed.
mock._mock_sealed = True
for attr in dir(mock):
More information about the Python-checkins