[Python-checkins] bpo-44522: Fix inaccurate information in open() function (GH-27650)
webhook-mailer at python.org
Mon Aug 9 10:35:15 EDT 2021
author: Miss Islington (bot) <31488909+miss-islington at users.noreply.github.com>
committer: miss-islington <31488909+miss-islington at users.noreply.github.com>
bpo-44522: Fix inaccurate information in open() function (GH-27650)
- Use "Low surrogate code units" instead of "Unicode Private Use Area"
(cherry picked from commit b05e9b63fcfcd4bd7a6434fa9f9a7028d12f91c4)
Co-authored-by: meowmeowmeowcat <meowmeowcat1211 at gmail.com>
diff --git a/Doc/library/functions.rst b/Doc/library/functions.rst
index f99ea889ffe1e..652e30c6088ad 100644
@@ -1208,9 +1208,9 @@ are always available. They are listed here in alphabetical order.
* ``'replace'`` causes a replacement marker (such as ``'?'``) to be inserted
where there is malformed data.
- * ``'surrogateescape'`` will represent any incorrect bytes as code
- points in the Unicode Private Use Area ranging from U+DC80 to
- U+DCFF. These private code points will then be turned back into
+ * ``'surrogateescape'`` will represent any incorrect bytes as low
+ surrogate code units ranging from U+DC80 to U+DCFF.
+ These surrogate code units will then be turned back into
the same bytes when the ``surrogateescape`` error handler is used
when writing data. This is useful for processing files in an
More information about the Python-checkins