[Python-checkins] [3.9] bpo-42560: rework external references in Tkinter docs (GH-27838) (GH-27896)
webhook-mailer at python.org
Sun Aug 22 15:06:10 EDT 2021
author: Łukasz Langa <lukasz at langa.pl>
committer: ambv <lukasz at langa.pl>
[3.9] bpo-42560: rework external references in Tkinter docs (GH-27838) (GH-27896)
- reorganized from two sections (tkinter vs. tcl/tk) into three (tkinter, tcl/tk, and books)
- main (recommended) tkinter docs have one tutorial (tkdocs) and one reference (shipman), added better descriptions
- dropped link to Tkinter page on wiki (suggestion by E. Paine; outdated, most material already linked to from python.org)
- replaced Tcl/Tk recent man pages and core dev home with single link to main Tcl/Tk page (which holds both of these)
- updated Modern Tkinter link to book page on TkDocs site (was Amazon link to old version), dropped description
- replaced Grayson book by Moore book (newer, covers ttk)
- changed Ousterhout ref to second edition, covers ttk
- dropped link to Welch book (old).
(cherry picked from commit d1049d1d6b43296d4db1aa8668aa4ca807bf7adb)
Co-authored-by: Mark Roseman <mark at markroseman.com>
diff --git a/Doc/library/tkinter.rst b/Doc/library/tkinter.rst
index a8da883df612b..e1b2a87b0ff2e 100644
@@ -21,47 +21,34 @@ installed, so you can read the Tcl/Tk documentation specific to that version.
- Tkinter documentation:
+ * `TkDocs <http://tkdocs.com/>`_
+ Extensive tutorial on creating user interfaces with Tkinter. Explains key concepts,
+ and illustrates recommended approaches using the modern API.
- `Python Tkinter Resources <https://wiki.python.org/moin/TkInter>`_
- The Python Tkinter Topic Guide provides a great deal of information on using Tk
- from Python and links to other sources of information on Tk.
+ * `Tkinter 8.5 reference: a GUI for Python <https://www.tkdocs.com/shipman/>`_
+ Reference documentation for Tkinter 8.5 detailing available classes, methods, and options.
- `TKDocs <http://www.tkdocs.com/>`_
- Extensive tutorial plus friendlier widget pages for some of the widgets.
+ Tcl/Tk Resources:
- `Tkinter 8.5 reference: a GUI for Python <https://www.tkdocs.com/shipman/>`_
- On-line reference material.
+ * `Tk commands <https://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.6/TkCmd/contents.htm>`_
+ Comprehensive reference to each of the underlying Tcl/Tk commands used by Tkinter.
- `Tkinter docs from effbot <http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/>`_
- Online reference for tkinter supported by effbot.org.
+ * `Tcl/Tk Home Page <https://www.tcl.tk>`_
+ Additional documentation, and links to Tcl/Tk core development.
- `Programming Python <http://learning-python.com/about-pp4e.html>`_
- Book by Mark Lutz, has excellent coverage of Tkinter.
- `Modern Tkinter for Busy Python Developers <https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Tkinter-Python-Developers-ebook/dp/B0071QDNLO/>`_
- Book by Mark Roseman about building attractive and modern graphical user interfaces with Python and Tkinter.
+ * `Modern Tkinter for Busy Python Developers <https://tkdocs.com/book.html>`_
+ By Mark Roseman. (ISBN 978-1999149567)
- `Python and Tkinter Programming <https://www.manning.com/books/python-and-tkinter-programming>`_
- Book by John Grayson (ISBN 1-884777-81-3).
+ * `Python and Tkinter Programming <https://www.packtpub.com/product/python-gui-programming-with-tkinter/9781788835886>`_
+ By Alan Moore. (ISBN 978-1788835886)
- Tcl/Tk documentation:
+ * `Programming Python <http://learning-python.com/about-pp4e.html>`_
+ By Mark Lutz; has excellent coverage of Tkinter. (ISBN 978-0596158101)
- `Tk commands <https://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.6/TkCmd/contents.htm>`_
- Most commands are available as :mod:`tkinter` or :mod:`tkinter.ttk` classes.
- Change '8.6' to match the version of your Tcl/Tk installation.
- `Tcl/Tk recent man pages <https://www.tcl.tk/doc/>`_
- Recent Tcl/Tk manuals on www.tcl.tk.
- `ActiveState Tcl Home Page <https://tcl.tk>`_
- The Tk/Tcl development is largely taking place at ActiveState.
- `Tcl and the Tk Toolkit <https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/020163337X>`_
- Book by John Ousterhout, the inventor of Tcl.
- `Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk <http://www.beedub.com/book/>`_
- Brent Welch's encyclopedic book.
+ * `Tcl and the Tk Toolkit (2nd edition) <https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/032133633X>`_
+ By John Ousterhout, inventor of Tcl/Tk, and Ken Jones; does not cover Tkinter. (ISBN 978-0321336330)
More information about the Python-checkins